Many of the Windows users are aware of the Remote Desktop feature in Windows 10. And most of them use the feature of Remote Desktop to access another computer (work or home) remotely. Sometimes we need urgent access to work files from work computer, in such cases remote desktop can be a life saver. In this way, there may be several other reasons why you need to access your computer remotely.
You can easily use remote desktop by simply setting up a port forwarding rule on your router . But what if you don’t use a router to access the Internet? Well, in that case, you need to change the remote desktop port to use the remote desktop feature.
The default remote desktop port through which this connection occurs is 3389. What if you want to change this port? Yes, there are some situations where you prefer to change this port to connect with a remote computer. Since everyone knows the default port, hackers can sometimes hack the default port to steal data like login credentials, credit card details, etc. To avoid these issues, you can change the default RDP port. Changing the default RDP port is one of the best security measures to keep your connection safe and access your PC remotely without any problem. So, without wasting any time, let’s see how to change Remote Desktop Port (RDP) in Windows 10 with the help of the guide given below.
How to change remote desktop port (RDP) in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point in case something goes wrong.
1. Open the registry editor on your device. Press the Windows key + R and writes regedit in the dialog Execute and press Enter or press OKAY.
2. Now you need to navigate to the following path in the registry editor.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Control Terminal Server WinStations RDP-Tcp
3. Under the RDP-TCP Registry key, locate the port number Y double click in it.
4. In the “Edit DWORD (32-bit) value” box, change to decimal value in base.
5. Here you will see the default port: 3389 . You need to change it to another port number. In the image below, I have changed the port number value to 4280 or 2342 or whatever number you want. You can give any value of 4 numbers.
6. Finally, click in To accept to save all settings and reboot your PC.
Now, once you have changed the default RDP port, it is time for you to verify the changes before using the remote desktop connection. It is important to make sure that you changed the port number successfully and that you can access your remote PC through this port.
Step 1: Press the Windows key + R and writes mstsc and press Enter.
Step 2: Here you must type the IP address or hostname of your remote server with the new port number and then click the button Connect to start the connection with your remote PC.
You can also use login credentials to connect with your remote PC, just click show options at the bottom and enter your username and password to start the connection. You can save the credentials for later use.
Therefore, it is recommended that you change the remote desktop port (RDP) in Windows 10, by doing so you make it difficult for hackers to access your data or credentials. In general, the method mentioned above will help you to change remote desktop port easily. However, any time you change the default port, make sure that the connection is established correctly.