If you recently upgraded to Windows 10, April 2018, update version 1803, you may have noticed low disk space problem, disk space on your disk drive is greatly reduced, Windows installation drive is full This is because Windows installs a completely new version and keeps the old one in a folder with Name windows.old. This copy of Windows.old is a protection mechanism in case something goes wrong during the installation process. Or just in case you want revert (downgrade) to the previous version .
Features Removed in Windows 10 October 2018 Update
Here is the full list of features that were removed from Windows 10 version 1809.
- Enterprise scanning, also called Distributed Scan Management (DSM): Microsoft is removing this secure scanning and scanner management capability.
- FontSmoothing setting in unattend.xml: This setting allows you to specify the font smoothing strategy to use system-wide. Microsoft changed Windows 10 to use ClearType by default, so it is no longer required.
- Hologram application: Windows 10 replaced the hologram app with the Mixed Reality Viewer. If you want to create a 3D word art, you can still do it in Paint 3D and view your art in VR or Hololens with the Mixed Reality Viewer.
- Phone Companion: When you upgrade to Windows 10, version 1809, the Phone Companion app will be removed from your PC. Use the Phone page in the Settings application to sync your mobile phone with your PC.
- limpet.exe: Microsoft releases the limpet.exe tool, used to access the TPM for Azure connectivity, as open source.
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) management console: Information previously available in the TPM management console is now available on the device security page in the Windows Defender Security Center.
- Future updates through Windows Embedded Developer Update: Microsoft no longer publishes new updates on the WEDU server. Instead, you can secure any new updates to the Catalog of updates of Microsoft .
Features deprecated in Windows 10, aka 1809
And these are the features in Windows 10 that Microsoft no longer develops.
- Disk Cleanup: a Starting with the October 2018 update, Windows 10 is retiring support for the legacy Disk Cleanup tool in favor of the Storage Feel, which includes all equivalent features and more.
- Add-on Device Dynamic Lock APIs: Companion Device Framework (CDF) APIs allow portable devices and other devices to unlock a PC. Because third-party partners did not adopt the CDF method, Microsoft is no longer developing the CDF dynamic locking APIs.
- OneSync Service: The OneSync service syncs data from the Mail, Calendar, and People applications. Microsoft added a synchronization engine to the Outlook application that provides the same synchronization.
- Snipping Tool: Microsoft is no longer developing the Snipping Tool as a separate application, but is consolidating its functionality in Snip & Sketch.
“You can start Snip & Sketch directly and start a snip from there, or just press WIN + Shift + S. Snip & Sketch can also be started from the ‘Screen snip’ button in the Action Center.”
You can always check this Microsoft support site for more details on features removed or planned to be replaced with this version of Windows 10.
Get the Windows 10 October 2018 update ahead of time
Starting today, the Windows 10 October 2018 Update is now available for download. The automatic launch is done in stages, which means that not all devices will be updated at the same time. Supported devices will get it first, and then once the update has been shown to be more stable, Microsoft will make it available to other devices.
If you don’t want to wait, you can get it by forcing Windows to update right now. Or you can use the official media creation tool, Windows 10 update wizard, or ISO to download and install Windows 10 October 2018 Update now.
Via Windows update
You can always use Windows Update to force install version 1809, follow these steps:
- To open Settings .
- Click on Update and security .
- Click on Windows update .
- Click the button Search for updates .
- The update is will automatically download .
- Once the update is downloaded, you will need to reboot your device .
- You can choose to instantly restart it or schedule it later.
Use the media creation tool
Microsoft also released Media Creation Tool to help you download and install Windows 10 version 1809 updates manually.
- Download the media creation tool from the Microsoft support website.
- Double click on the file to start the process.
- Accept the license agreement
- And be patient while the tool “sets things up.”
- Once the installer has been configured, you will be prompted to update this pc now or what create installation media for another PC .
- Select the Update this PC now option.
- And follow the instructions on the screen
The Windows 10 download and installation process can take a while, so be patient. Eventually, you will either get to a screen asking for information or restart the computer. Just follow the onscreen instructions and when you’re done, Windows 10 version 1803 will be installed on your computer.
Download the Windows 10 October 2018 ISO Update
Also Windows 10 October 2018 Update ISO files are available for download, you can download and create bootable USB / media for clean install or manual window grading. Below I have shared two links (for Windows 64bit and 32bit) to download Windows 10 Oct 2018 Update ISO directly from Microsoft server.
Windows 10 October 2018 64-bit ISO Update
- File Name: Win10_1809_English_x64.iso
- Download: Click here to download this ISO file Size: 4.7 GB
Windows 10 October 2018 Update 32-bit ISO
- File Name: Win10_1809_English_x32.iso
- Download: Click here to download this ISO file Size: 3.4 GB
Check how to perform a clean install of Windows 10 version 1809.
Also read What are the new features introduced in Windows 10 October 2018, update version 1809 from here!