Microsoft has promoted Windows 10 as the supreme operating system with a redefined user interface and has added many new features that have resulted in 600 million active users. Although very popular, Windows 10 has some issues or bugs that have resulted in a bitter user experience as reported by some users. According to reports, brightness control not working in Windows 10 (even Windows 8 and 7 users face it) it’s an old problem with the new operating system and the issue is vendor independent, that is, this issue has been observed on HP, Lenovo, and other brand laptops regardless of the system architecture [AMD o Intel].
This problem cannot be solved using Windows 10 Troubleshoot as it does not detect any errors or problems.
If you have bought a new laptop with Windows 10 setup and the brightness controls are not working OR you just updated your computer and you can’t adjust the brightness. Do not strain, we have the solution for your problem. No software installation is required.
Just follow these simple steps listed below to solve the brightness not working problem on your laptop.
Please note that our solutions will help you fix non-working brightness issues on Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer, and other common laptop brands.
Before proceeding, check the following requirements below:
[ a. ] You will need internet connectivity for some steps. Therefore, make sure you are connected to the Internet before proceeding. Don’t worry, no third-party software is required.
[ b .] Make sure your device is connected to power or has at least 50% battery.
How to fix Windows 10 brightness not working problem
So here are 3 methods to fix Windows 10 brightness control not working problem.
Check that adaptive brightness is disabled
Adaptive brightness is a smart feature of Windows 10 that can sometimes lead to a fixed brightness, even if one adjusts the brightness. Just follow the steps to check if this is the problem:
1 . Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar and click on ‘Adjust screen brightness’.
2. Click on ‘Change plan settings’ for the current power plan.
3. Now click on Change advanced power settings .
4. Now a pop-up window will open, click Screen and then in Enable adaptive brightness from the expanded list, turn off the option ‘on battery’ and ‘plugged in’. Click Apply to save the changes. Check if this fixes your problem.
Update your drivers and enable PnP monitor
From the title of this section, it may be clear that you need to update the display-related drivers. This step has two subsections, proceed accordingly: [Se requiere Internet ]
Step 2.1 Update Display Adapter Drivers
1. Right-click on ‘Start’, then click on ‘Device Manager’ or search the taskbar for ‘Device Manager’ and click on the top result.
2. Expand the display adapter and right click on the graphics card driver and then click on ‘Update Driver Software’. Depending on the brand of the laptop, you may see other drivers listed . Don’t worry, follow the steps with your device’s display driver in the step mentioned below, everything will be fine. Do not select any other option as it may cause the device to malfunction.
3. After selecting ‘Update Driver Software’, the following pop-up screen will appear. Click ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. Now Windows 10 will search for the latest drivers and download and install on your device automatically, so relax and wait for it to complete. *** Note: -The drivers are downloaded from the manufacturer’s official repository and if you want to update them manually, DO NOT download drivers from third-party websites. If you are a newbie, I would recommend that you follow this tutorial. ***
4. After successful completion, the above pop-up should appear. Close it. Select Action from the menu bar at the top and then click ‘Scan for hardware changes’. This step will detect any changes due to the latest driver. After Scanning, a pop-up window may appear asking you to restart your device. Otherwise, restart your device manually.
*** Check if this fixes your problem. Also, try updating the controller of the Graphic card in the same way or from the graphics card board (look for the brand name of the graphics card, for example AMD in the taskbar). ***
2.2 Enable generic PnP monitor
For some reasons (usually due to some graphics-intensive software), Generic PnP Monitor may be disabled. This is a main reason for glitter not working on some manufacturers. This can occur due to the installation of new software that may conflict with Generic PnP Monitor, thus being disabled.
1. Go to the ‘Device Manager’ as in step 2.1.
2. Select Monitors, then click Generic PnP Monitor to check if it is enabled. If not, click Enable. Also, check for updates and update it.
3. Now, click on Action, then look for hardware changes. Don’t forget to restart your computer to apply the changes.
Last Resort: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Try this method as a last resort, after all the steps mentioned above. In this step, we are going to configure the device’s standard graphics card driver as ‘Microsoft Basic Display Adapter’. Many users claim that this method will fix screen brightness not working problems on Windows 10, 8 and 7 laptops.
1. Go to Device Manager, then click Display Adapters. Click on your graphics card, right click to select Update device driver.
2. Select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and then from the list of drivers select ‘Microsoft Basic Display Adapter’. Then click Next to install.
3. Click Action, then look for hardware changes. Now, restart your computer to apply the changes successfully.
Hope this has solved your problem. If not, check that the latest Windows 10 update has been properly installed on your computer; otherwise, revert to the previous version of Windows 10. If this is a new device, please contact the manufacturer as your device is under warranty and your problem will be resolved at no cost.
The steps above followed in the order mentioned should fix the brightness not working in Windows 10.
Note: -Not all Windows 10 devices face this problem. There are other alternatives, but they require advanced computer skills and can damage your system if done wrong. Therefore, contact your laptop manufacturer’s service center.