Besides the default app, many Windows 10 users want to install some third-party video apps to open their media files. But many of them may find that when they try to play a video or music, there is a not playing error saying ” Error 0xc00d4e85: Your sound is currently being controlled by another application.” To listen here, please close the app and try again «.
It means that an app has taken exclusive control over the speakers, causing audio or video apps to have no sound. Some may feel that the problem was caused by a Windows update. Furthermore, this error can also be a result of some incorrect audio settings or incompatible audio drivers.
Below are 9 methods that you can use to fix error 0xc00d4e85.
Solution 1 – Restart the Windows Audio service
That the Windows audio service is running correctly is an important factor in avoiding errors. You can restart this service and set its Startup Type to Automatic. Do the following:
1. Write Service in the search box and click on it.
2. Locate Windows-Audio on the list. If the service is running, right-click and restart. If it’s not running, start it .
3. Right click and choose Properties . Then set the Startup Type as Automatic . AND apply this change.
After that, check if this method helped you to fix this problem.
Solution 2: End tasks
Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation and audiodg.exe can cause the problem that another application handles your sound error, so try to end these two processes. Also many HP users said that tasks like audiodg.exe can cause the error, so it is reasonable to fix this problem by ending these tasks.
1. Right click on the empty space of the bar from chores and select Task Manager .
2. Click More details .
3. Locate Windows audio device graph isolation and audiodg.exe . Then click on them and select Finish homework .
Then run your app again and see if the sound is back.
But many users whose non-HP computer find that there is no audiodg.exe in the Task Manager list. In this case, you can remove audio.exe by following these steps:
4. Write audiodg in the search box and right click on the search result. choose open file location .
5. Locate audiodg in the list and right-click. choose Erase .
Solution 3 – Disable apps from taking exclusive control of the device
If your audio device has been configured to allow devices to take exclusive control over the device, it may cause your applications to have the 0xc00d4e85 error. In this case, you can simply disable this setting to fix the error. Here are steps:
1. Right click the sound icon on the taskbar and choose playback devices .
2. Locate and right click on the audio device. choose properties .
3. Select the tab Advanced . Uncheck Allow apps to take exclusive control of this device . then do click on To accept .
After that, you can try again to see if the issue is resolved.
Solution 4 – Disable and enable the audio device
You can restart your audio device to give it a fresh start to fix this problem.
1. Right click on the start menu and select Device administrator .
2. Expand sound, video and game controllers . Choose the audio device you want to update and right click. Select disable device .
If you see a warning like this, click Yes .
3. After several minutes, right click again. Select enable device .
The error should go away after restarting the audio device. If not, apply the next solution.
Solution 5 – Update your audio drivers
Updating your audio drivers is also a method to fix your problem. And you have three options to update your audio drivers.
Option 1: Update Device Manager
For this method, you need to go Device administrator > sound, video and games > audio devices > update driver . Then select Search automatically for updated driver software.
Then it will automatically search for and install the new version audio driver. You can follow the instructions to install it.
Option 2 – Download and update audio drivers manually
In this way, download the latest version of the audio driver on the manufacturer’s official website and install it yourself. In Device Manager, you can get information about the audio driver you use, and then you can search the driver you need on the official website. After downloading it, you can double click it and follow the installation wizard to install the driver.
Suppose your audio device is Realtek HD Audio, you can get more information there.
If you choose this method to update your driver, you will be able to have a more excellent experience in sound and video, compared to updating Device Manager.
Option 3 – Download and update the audio driver using Driver Booster
driver booster it is a professional tool that can help us download and install updated drivers and missing drivers. If you use this app to update your driver, it can save you some time. Because it can detect missing drivers and drivers need to update automatically. Here are steps:
1. Download Driver Booster install and run it on your computer.
2. Run Driver Booster and click Scan .
It will then search for devices that need updated drivers and devices that are missing drivers automatically.
3. Click To update . Find sound, video and game drivers to update your audio driver.
You can also choose Update now to download all the drivers listed in the box. then Driver Booster will update all the old drivers.
You can choose one of three options to update your audio drivers.
Solution 6: Run the audio troubleshooter
This troubleshooter can help you find and fix problems with sound playback. So running it may solve the problem for you. You can do the following steps.
1. Go to Setting > Update and security > Solve problems .
2. Select play sound and click Run the troubleshooter .
3. It will then detect problems with sound playback.
If there is any problem, it will remind you. Then you can choose Apply this fix to solve this problem.
Tips: Another way to open Playing Video Troubleshooter is to run Command Prompt as administrator and enter: msdt.exe /id AudioPlaybackDiagnostic .
Solution 7 – Pause MS Office Upload Center
Some of those who use Microsoft Office find that this problem could be caused by the MS Office Upload Center. To fix this error, you need to pause the upload center. So if you are MS Office users and encountered this problem, you should try this solution.
It can be found running on the hidden icons on the right side of the taskbar.
You can get your sound back simply by pausing the loads.
Solution 8: Windows Update
Windows update can help with many types of issues and can also help resolve this issue. can go to Setting > Update and security > windows update > Search for updates .
After selecting Search for updates it will check and download the updates for you.
You can check if this method helps after the download is complete.
Solution 9 – Remove the KB2962407 update
The KB2962407 Windows update is known to have something to do with the 0xc00d4e85 error, and uninstalling this update can fix this error in many cases. You can follow the following steps:
1. Go to Setting > Update and security > windows update > update history .
2. Select Uninstall updates .
3. Search KB2962407 Update in the list and right-click to uninstall it.
After the uninstall is complete, restart your computer.
The nine solutions given above can be applied, if you find that there is error 0xc00d4e85 “Another application is controlling your sound” when using a third-party application. I hope this passage can help you with this problem.