Hello hello do you hear me suddenly your Windows device can’t play audio? No sound or no sound in Windows 10, 8, 7 it happened with you. When this happens, Windows will not be able to play sound through any speakers, whether internal or external (headphones, external speaker, etc.). If you try to fix this problem through the Windows troubleshooter, in almost all cases it cannot detect any problems. Now how are we going to listen to music? This article will fix all the problems related to the fails to play sound in Windows .
Many Windows users have reported this problem, and this can happen after updating Windows or changing your sound card. If this problem has occurred abruptly, try to find out what caused it, for example due to a new installed application, a Windows update, new sound drivers, or an audio enhancement tool. Uninstall the suspicious software and check whether your laptop can play sound or not. Before jumping into the remedies provided below, make sure of the following:
A. Check with multiple sound devices, such as headphones and speakers, to confirm that the problem lies with Windows and is not a hardware problem such as a bad USB port / audio jack (USB port in Windows solutions).
B. Check with multiple media players and play audio / video files to verify that it is not an application / file related issue. Don’t forget to check volume levels, apps like Google Chrome, VLC media player, etc. they have their own volume controls. If it is muted, you will not be able to hear a sound, even if the windows volume is not muted.
C. Restart your windows or even better turn off your laptop and start it up after 5 minutes. Computers can respond abnormally when overheated or turned on for long periods of time, this simple trick can fix your no-sound problem.
D. Another way to check if your sound card or audio drivers are working properly is the sound test tone. It is a tool present in the sound configuration. The steps to test the sound are as follows:
1. Locate the “speaker” icon on the taskbar (right side) and right click on it. Select “Sounds” from the menu. A new window will appear.
2. A list of sound devices (varies from device to device) will appear on the “Playback” tab. Select any device and click ‘configure’. A new sub-window will open.
3. Click on “Test”. You will hear a test tone from the selected device. If so, click “next” and then click “finish”. Also, repeat for other devices. If not, then proceed to the solutions mentioned below to correct the error when playing the test tone.
How to Fix Error Playing Test Tone
So here is a simple method to fix the sound error on your Windows 10, 8 or 7.
Restart audio services
In this method, you have to open Windows Task Manager and restart Audio Services. Easy enough! Audio services continue to run in the background as soon as Windows starts. Let’s see how to implement this:
1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del from your keyboard and click on ‘Task Manager’ or Find ‘Task Manager’ on the taskbar and click on the first result. A window will open.
2. Find ‘Windows Audio’ and right click on it. A menu will appear, select ‘ Restart ‘and close the Task Manager. In some versions of Windows, the Restart option is not present, then select Finish homework.
Also, repeat this process for all audio related services present in Task Manager. Now, check that the audio is playing, if not restart your windows and check again. Bad luck! Look for the next alternative.
This method focuses on sound settings – common settings for all things audio related. A lot of things can go wrong here! We will focus on two common problems related to no sound issue. The mentioned step is common for this section:
1. Locate the “Speaker” icon on the task bar (right side) and right click on it. Select “Sounds” from the menu. A new window will appear.
Disable audio enhancements
The audio enhancement function is available in windows that improve the sound quality according to your taste. But, in some cases, the audio enhancement has been responsible for the sound-related issues. Steps are provided to disable audio enhancement:
1. In the sound settings on the playback tab, a list of audio devices will be displayed (varies from device to device), select any device by clicking on it. Then click on properties.
2. A new sub-window will appear. Navigate to the ‘Upgrade’ tab located at the top. Check ‘Disable all enhancements’ and finally click ‘Apply’. Repeat the steps for all devices (basically sound card), if available. Check if the problem is resolved otherwise, continue.
Default sample rate
The sample rate should be set as default , the options in ‘exclusive mode’ should also be checked. The steps are:
1. Similar to the previous step , in the sound settings on the playback tab, a list of audio devices will be displayed (varies from device to device), select any device by clicking on it. Then click on properties.
2. A new sub-window will appear. Navigate to the ‘Advanced’ tab located at the top. Make sure both ‘exclusive mode’ options are checked. And click “Restore defaults”, then click “Apply”. Repeat the steps for all devices (basically sound card), if applicable. Check if the problem is resolved otherwise, continue with the next section.
Command Prompt (sfc / scannow)
Every Windows problem can be solved through the command prompt. Here, we are going to look for problems in Windows (such as corrupted files / applications). Use the command » sfc / scannow «, This will replace all corrupted files with cached files.
1. Open the ‘Command Prompt’ either by searching for it in the taskbar or by pressing ‘Windows Key + R’ and searching for ‘cmd’. ** Note: For this command to work, open the command prompt in Administrator mode. ** **
2. Write or copy and paste » sfc / scannow »At the command prompt. Wait for the scan to finish. Play any sound files to confirm if your problem is solved in another way, please continue.
Lastly, if none of the mentioned solutions worked for you, then it must be a driver issue. The steps mentioned below will be common for this section:
1. Open “Device Manager” by right-clicking on the Start button located on the taskbar and select “Device Manager” Or search for “Device Manager” on the taskbar and click on the first result. The Device Manager window will open.
Locate “Sound, video and game controllers” and click on it to list all the drivers related to audio.
Update sound driver
1. Now, right click on any sound driver and then click on ‘Update Driver’.
2. A new window will appear. Click on Search automatically for updated driver software. This will update your driver [Se requiere Internet]. Repeat the steps for all audio drivers.
3. Finally, click on ‘Action’ located in the menu bar and then click on ‘Scan for hardware changes’. Restart your Windows after completing the scan to apply the changes. Check if your problem is solved, if not then continue:
Identify the system audio driver and uninstall third-party audio drivers. If you are not sure what the system audio driver is, just uninstall all audio drivers. Don’t worry, Windows will restore the system audio driver the next time you restart your laptop.
The notion behind this solution is that multiple audio drivers may crash or for some other reason may be responsible for the failure to reproduce the sound test tone issue. The procedure to uninstall drivers is mentioned below:
1. Right click on the sound driver and then click ‘Uninstall’. A confirmation pop-up window will appear, click ‘Uninstall’ to continue. Repeat this step for other audio drivers.
2. Click on ‘Action’ located in the menu bar and then click on ‘Scan for hardware changes’ or click on the icon mentioned in the image below to scan. Restart your Windows after completing the scan to apply the changes. Hope this solves your no sound issue in Windows.
Other possible solutions for the failed test tone in Windows are related to BIOS (when installing a new sound card), modifying the registry, etc; All these methods are quite advanced and require expert guidance, a small mistake will lead to a serious computer problem. Also in the drivers section, proceed carefully and avoid experimenting!
Follow the solution mentioned in the order listed. Hope this article was helpful and solved the sound test tone problem on your Windows device.