Storage devices play an important role when we talk about any technological device. They are the ones that help to store files and other important information, but with that, they also provide memory to the operating system and the software running on the systems. Computer and mobile storage devices come in various formats, such as hard drive, pen drive, memory card, etc. What if one day you needed to format your disk and needed space for some important work, but the system showed an error saying » Windows could not complete the Format”. That would disrupt your entire workflow and could also cause a problem.
But you don’t need to worry too much because I have some solutions in this article. Just keep reading and you will get the problem that Windows could not complete the format resolved.
How to fix Windows could not complete the format
The solutions are quite easy and you don’t need a lot of technical knowledge to solve them. Even if necessary, don’t worry, I’m here to guide you. So, let’s jump straight to the solution steps without talking much.
1. Create partition using disk management
Your storage device is required to have a partition so that the system knows in which partition files should be stored or which should be formatted. So if you don’t have a partition, follow the steps below to create one:
- Press the button Windows and right click on the option Computer .
- Now from the list choose the option Manage .
- In the left column, select the option Disk management .
- Regardless of which disk you want to partition on, right-click on it and choose the option New single volume .
- In the next window, select the radio option Format this volume with the following settings.
- Press Next to create a partition.
So this method would create a new partition based on the settings you choose such as size, filesystem type, etc. While the new partition was being made, the device was formatted once, but still if you want to do it and check if the error is fixed then you and give it a try.
2. Create partition using command prompt
This method does the same as the previous step, it is just that the method to perform is different. So, follow the steps below to create partition on your storage device using command prompt and get rid of the error.
- Open the execution of orders by pressing the Windows + R wrench.
- Then, in the search box, type diskpart and enter.
- Now, enter the following commands one by one and press Get in after each one.
- list disk – The command will list all available disks on your system.
- select disk 3 – This command will select the disk you want to make changes to. You can select the appropriate number based on the disk you want to partition on.
- clean : will clean the disc completely.
- Create primary partition : create the new partition on the disk.
- format fs = fat32 quick – The command is used to create a fast format of type FAT32.
- Scribe exit and press Get in.
Finished creating a new partition and also formatted your disk drive once while creating a new partition. But, to verify if Windows could not complete the error of formatting , you can format it again and check it.
3. Format the RAW file with Disk Management
The drive creates a RAW file or becomes RAW when it cannot be formatted because it has been affected by a virus or a format failure or an unrecognized file system. RAW drives are the ones that are not formatted by FAT12 / FAT16 / FAT32 file systems, so you need to follow the steps below to format it:
- Press the Windows and right click on the option Computer .
- Select the option manage of the list.
- In the new dialog box, go to Disk management from the left column. Right click on the disk and choose the Format .
- Enter all requested details and click click on To accept .
- Press okay again.
Note: If you have not backed up the data on that drive, please make a backup and then do click on To accept.
The disk you want to format has now been formatted and is no longer a RAW file. So now you can use it to store files and reformat it whenever you want. You can try to do a quick format by right clicking on the drive in Windows Explorer and checking whether the problem exists or not.
4. Format the RAW file with the command prompt
Any drive that becomes RAW drive due to any virus or malware can be difficult to format and therefore we need to format it using Windows command prompt feature. The steps to format the disk are very easy:
- Open the command Run and in the search box, type cmd and press Get in.
- At the command prompt, type
format /fs:FAT32 L:and press Enter.
Note: Check the drive name before formatting. I have formatted an external drive with the name L.
The process may take a bit of time, but once it is complete, the drive is formatted and free of the error.
Note: If you cannot run the above command, open the command prompt in mode Administrator and try to follow the same steps.
5. Using EaseUS Partition maker software
If you encounter difficulties using the above method and are open to downloading software that can perform all of the above functions and help you resolve the error, just download the software EaseUS .
Once the download is complete, simply open the software and after installation select the drive you want to format. Right-click on that drive and click Format partition . The software will do all the rest of the work in the background and once completed, it will inform you.
Done with formatting. You can check in Windows Explorer whether you can do a quick format or not. If you can do the formatting and you don’t get through with any disturbance, then your mistake » Windows could not complete the local disk format d »Or any other unit, it is solved.
6. Using the AOMEI Partition Assistant software
If you don’t like EaseUS software or if that software can’t help, you can download AOMEI partition wizard software. The software is reliable software with a free version and helps to perform many functions related to disk drive management. So, follow the steps:
- Download the software using the link .
- Open and install the software.
- Once installed, launch the software and right-click the drive you want to partition or format.
- Hover over option Advanced and click the option Verify partition
- Select the button Check partition option and fix errors using chkdsk and then do click on To accept .
- Again, right-click on the drive and select the option Format partition this time.
- Now click the button Apply and the changes made will be effective.
The software first checks the availability of the partition and then checks the error that it can fix. Then after which, you format the selected drive and the problem is now solved.
Storage devices are an important asset for the computer system and also for other technological devices. The problem that Windows could not complete the Format it’s so easy to solve, but it disrupts the user’s work every time it happens. Therefore, the article provides various solutions for different types of windows that could not complete the format error . The method includes creating a partition or formatting the RAW file or using third party software to help with the problem.
Hope these steps solve your problem and your device is formatted now. If you have any issues regarding those steps or while performing those steps, you can ask us in the comment section below. Also, if one step worked for you, please let me know which one worked for you.