Overview of D3dx9_42.dll Not Found:
Sometimes you will be reminded that the program can’t start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer, please try to reinstall the program to fix this problem or d3dx9_42.dll file was not found in Windows 10. Especially in games like Skyrim and Rocksmith , d3dx9_42 dll is missing is not uncommon.
You get frustrated when you cannot start the game due to unavailable d3dx9_42.dll file. That’s why this tutorial appears.
What is D3dx9_42.dll? Why is it missing in Windows 10?
D3dx9_42.dll is intended for Direct3D 9 extensions and is one of the files included in Microsoft DirectX, as is d3dx9_43.dll .
When Windows 10 informs you that d3dx9_42.dll was not found, it may imply that your DirectX is damaged or this d3dx9_42.dll file becomes corruption. Or for gamers, maybe your gaming software misbehaves. These are all potential reasons why d3dx0-42.dll is missing from your computer or code execution cannot continue.
How to fix D3dx9_42.dll is missing in Windows 10?
In line with its culprits, the most useful and efficient ways to resolve d3dx9_42.dll not found are to check DirectX compatibility, D3dx9_42.dll file and problematic applications.
You need to make sure that the d3dx9_42.dll file exists and Windows 10 can find the d3dx9_42 dll file.
Solution 1 – Download the D3dx9_42.dll file
That can quickly restore the missing d3dx9_42.dll to Windows 10. You can directly download this d3dx9_42.dll file with the help of the client DLL-FILES . It will automatically search for and then install the DLL file for you.
1. Download install and run DLL-FILES Client on Windows 10.
2. Then enter d3dx9_42.dll in the search box and start Find the DLL file .
3. Choose d3dx9_42.dll of the search result.
Here you can probably see many other d3dx9 dll files appearing in the search result like d3dx9-43.dll, d3dx9-30.dll.
4. Press Install to allow the DLL-FILES client to install the d3dx9_42.dll file on your PC automatically.
Of course, when you start a game, it won’t tell you that this app can’t start because d3dx9_42.dll was not found as this d3dx9_42 dll is downloaded in Windows 10.
Solution 2: Download DirectX End-User Runtimes
It is natural that you can also get the d3dx9_42.dll file by downloading the DirectX package. As part of the DirectX end-user runtimes, the d3dx9_42.dll file can also be installed when you get DirectX. Here you are supposed to install DirectX End-User Runtimes as it will offer updates not only for DirectX 9.0C but also for previous versions DirectX package.
And you better take advantage driver booster to install or update DirectX automatically, which is safe and time-saving. Driver Booster will help you find game drivers or components that can be updated for Windows 10.
1. Download install and run Driver Booster on your computer.
2. Click Scan to get Driver Booster to search for any missing, damaged or broken components on your PC.
3. After scanning, locate the package DirectX and then choose update it via Driver Booster.
The d3dx9_42.dll missing error message will go away immediately when you installed DirectX.
But here you can also navigate to Microsoft official site to download DirectX End-User Runtimes on your own. In this way, d3dx9_42.dll not found can also be resolved.
Solution 3 – Copy the D3dx9_42.dll file from another PC
If you don’t want to download neither the d3dx9_42 dll file nor the Directx package, there is still a way out. You can try to copy the d3dx9_42.dll file from Windows 10 to another PC and then paste it into the system directory or game installation folder to see if Windows 10 or the application can find the d3dx9_42.dll file.
Advice: you’d better first verify that these two computers are running on the same edition and architecture of Windows 10.
1. For another PC with the d3dx9_42.dll file, head to File Explorer folder C:WindowsSystem and right click on the file d3dx9_42.dll to Copy her.
2. On your PC without d3dx9_42.dll, also go to the folder C:WindowsSystem and then right click to paste the file copied here.
Now that you have copied a file to your PC, in most cases, you cannot start the game and it will not bother you anymore.
Solution 4 – Update the graphics driver
You may be wondering why the missing d3dx9_42.dll will mostly happen to games. In a sense, outdated or corrupt video card drivers are to blame. They just prevent Windows 10 gaming software from finding this d3dx9_42 dll file. So you’d better try to update your display driver.
Normally, you can choose to update the driver in Device Manager first.
1. Open Device Manager .
2. Expand Display adapters and then click with the right click on the graphics driver for Update the driver .
3. Then decide Automatically search for updated driver software .
If device manager failed to update your video card driver, you can also use Intel, AMD, NVIDIA or any other graphics card official site to get the driver yourself.
Or it is also possible to resort to booster driver to urge Scan for device drivers and then to update the display driver under display adapters .
I want Windows 10 to find the d3dx9_42.dll file successfully.
Solution 5 – Uninstall and reinstall the game
It also makes sense when there is corruption or any error in the game, it will not locate the d3dx9_42 dll file and start working on Windows 10. So if downloading or copying the d3dx9_42.dll file is useless for you then just determine to delete the game problematic and then install a new one.
1. Open the Dashboard .
2. Try View by category and then quickly find out programs > Uninstall a program .
3. In the window Programs and characteristics identify the game or any other erroneous application and right click to uninstall it .
After uninstalling the game, go to its official site online and download Skyrim or any other game again on your PC. Some users may be able to fix d3dx9_42.dll not found in this method.
Solution 6: Run System File Checker
As d3dx9_42 is one of the DLL files, when it is missing due to corruption or whatever, there is much need to use system file checker tool – System File Checker (SFC) in Windows 10. It can recover the missing d3dx9_42.dll file for you.
1. Enter the Symbol of the system in the search box and then right-click the best matching result to Execute as an administrator .
2. At the command prompt, enter sfc /scannow and later press the key enter to run it.
Maybe System File Checker is able to address the d3dx9_42.dll not found issue on your PC.
In a nutshell, the moment you notice the error message that the program cannot start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer or the code execution cannot be processed because d3dx9_42.dll was not found in Windows 10, try the forms in this Post will be helpful.