Windows 10 is packed with Temporary files They help the operating system do its job quickly. Occasionally, the cache for these files can become corrupted or become so large that it interacts with Windows 10 performance. If you are running out of storage space or experiencing unusual behavior, such as Windows 10 freezing, it takes a long time to shut down or start. Unresponsive web browsers One of the first things you can do is clear your cache.
It is important to clear the cache on your Windows 10 computer to free up disk space and improve performance.
This little effort not only improves system performance, but also frees up a lot of disk space for you. Here in this post, we discuss how to safely clean hidden caches in Windows 10.
What is the cache?
A cache is a non-permanent file (or files) that may be needed again in the future and is therefore kept hidden until that time. Or we can say that caching is the mechanism used to improve and speed up the performance and operation of applications.
How to clear cache memory in Windows 10
But sometime the cache gets corrupted or damaged, causes various issues (like apps won’t open, Windows updates won’t download and install, Windows store starts misbehaving, etc.) and most importantly is that they take up valuable space, and that can be a problem if you have an SSD with limited capacity.
Clear Windows Cache update
- Press the keyboard shortcut Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open the Windows services console,
- Scroll down and look for Windows update service,
- Right click on the Windows update service and select stop. Do the same with the BITS service.
- Then open File Explorer and from the View menu check the “Show hidden folders” box.
- Now go this route C: Windows SoftwareDistribution Download
- After reaching the “Download” folder, delete all its contents.
Start the services (Windows update, BITS) that you stopped earlier. That’s it, this is an easy and simple way to clear your Windows update cache. This will not only free up the system disk, but it will also fix most of the Windows update related issues on Windows 10 PC.
Clear the Microsoft Store cache
To clear the cache from the Microsoft store, the company provides a utility called WSReset.exe which clears the cache for you.
- Press Windows keyboard shortcut + R, type WSReset.exe and click OK.
- A black window will open and it may appear that nothing is happening, but please wait.
- It may take a few minutes to clear the cache in the background.
- When all cache is cleared, the command box will close automatically.
Clearing the Windows store cache is very helpful in troubleshooting different Microsoft store issues, especially if the Microsoft store got stuck while downloading or updating apps.
Clear cache of temporary files
Temporary files are generally created as an intermediary while another file is being created or modified, but they can also contain temporary data that only a program needs for a period of time. Clear temporary cache files are a breeze
- Press Windows keyboard shortcut + R, type% temp% and ok.
- This will show all the temporary files available on your PC,
- Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + A to select all and press Shift + Delete on the keyboard to permanently delete them
Besides, you can also delete temporary cache files from Windows 10 storage sense.
- Press Windows + I to open settings
- Click System and then Storage -> Change how we free up space.
- Here click clean now as shown below.
Clear Windows thumbnail cache
Thumbnails are great from a usability point of view, but where do you think those thumbnails came from? Windows has to generate them on demand. When you use File Explorer to browse folders, every time you find a file for the first time, Windows has to create a thumbnail for it.
- Go to the start menu and go to “File Explorer” and check the “show hidden folders” checkbox to make them visible. Now go to the next path.
- «C: Users Username AppData Local Microsoft Windows Explorer »
- And select all files starting with icon cache and delete them permanently by pressing “Shift + delete”.
Also from the start menu , search the app Disk Cleanup and open it. When prompted, select the system drive (usually the C 🙂 drive and wait while it scans the file system.
In the tab Disk Cleanup , uncheck all boxes except the one labeled Miniatures , then click OK.
Clear Windows browser cache (Edge, Chrome, Firefox)
To clear your browser’s cache, go to the start menu and type “Internet Options” and open it. There you will see the option to delete the browsing history of your browsers. Select it and press «OK»
Or you can clear the cache for an individual browser:
- Open the Chrome browser,
- Type chrome: // settings / clearBrowserData in the address bar and hit the Enter key
- Select option Cached images and files and be sure to erase from “the beginning of time.”
In Firefox, open the Options menu, go to the Advanced section, select the Network tab, and click the Clear Now button where it says Cached Web Content.
In Opera, open the Settings menu, go to the Privacy and security section, under Privacy, click Clear browsing data, select the Cached images and files option, and be sure to delete from “the beginning of time”.
Clear DNS cache
When you visit web pages, your computer keeps all records of recent visits and attempted visits to web sites and other Internet domains. in the DNS cache database. When the cache database is corrupted, you may encounter Internet problems, such as not having access to the Internet. And cleaning the DNS cache is the first thing you do when troubleshooting network and internet problems.
To clear DNS cache in Windows 10
- Type cmd in start menu search Right click on command prompt and select run as administrator.
- Then write ipconfig / flushdns Y press the Enter key.
- This will clear DNS cache and fix most internet related problems on Windows 10 PC.
Windows system restores cache
And finally, the system restores the cache. This will remove all the restore points except the recent one.
- Go to the start menu and type “System” and press Enter.
- Now go to “System Protection” and select “System Drive
- Here click on “configure” and then press “delete”.
If you do, be sure to create another restore point righ now.
Here are some hidden Windows caches that you should clear to free up a lot of disk space and fix most Windows problems. And the most common Windows update does not download, the download update gets stuck, the Windows app store does not work, the Windows store does not open, etc.
- How to Install Kali Linux on Windows 10 Subsystem (Step by Step Guide)
- Solved: WiFi connected but no Internet access Windows 10 !!!
- Windows 10 local account vs Microsoft account, which one is the best for you?
- How to fix temporary profile login error in Windows 10 (
- Microsoft Edge is unresponsive, slow performance after Windows 10 update