Learn how to disable the touchpad in Windows 10, 8 and 7 easily. You can find various ways to disable the touchpad in this article.
Touchpad or Trackpad, whatever you call it, has advanced in recent years by supporting multiple gestures and other cool features. But, it is still annoying for many users, especially gamers. The touchpad has not been able to match the level of comfort or ease for the generation that grew up using a mouse, although the touchpad comes in handy when it comes to traveling.
Laptop users also face difficulties when using the keyboard as it interferes with the trackpad due to its proximity and causes problems!
It all comes down to an individual’s preference, as luckily Windows 10 comes with advanced Touchpad controls. Don’t worry, we have also provided methods for other versions of Windows in this guide.
How to disable the touchpad in Windows
Before proceeding to disable the trackpad in Windows, let’s ask this question first ” Do you want to permanently disable the trackpad in Windows? “OR” Looking to disable the touchpad only when the mouse is connected? «.
The solution to the above question is to simply disable or remove the driver associated with the touchpad, explained later in the guide. The last question is most frequently asked and this guide is dedicated to providing explanations as manufacturers can provide machine (brand) specific solutions to disable the touch panel.
Some manufacturers provide a keyboard shortcut to disable the touchpad, the most common commands are » FN + F9 »/» FN + F7 «. Check your laptop model if it supports any of these shortcuts. Otherwise, continue with the next section.
How to disable the touchpad in Windows 10
This method is exclusive to Windows 10 users. It equips users with an option to disable the touchpad automatically when a mouse is connected to the Windows laptop or you can simply turn off the touchpad. The steps to accomplish this task are very simple, so let’s get started.
1. Open ‘Settings’, either by right-clicking on the Start button located on the taskbar and then on Settings or by simply pressing “Windows key + I” from the keyboard.
2. In Settings, look for ‘ Devices ‘and click on it. Then navigate to » Touchpad »By clicking on it.
3. Now, you have two options. The first option, disable the touchpad, click once on » Switched on »Located just below the touch panel header. Alternatively, you can also uncheck the option » Leave the touchpad on when the mouse is connected »To occasionally disable the touchpad when the mouse is connected to the notebook.
In the recent Windows update this option has been removed from Windows 10, we don’t know if this change is permanent or if it will be available again in future updates. So if you can’t find these options, just follow the next method.
Disable the touch panel using the control panel
Although the method is titled Control Panel, however, first, we would like you to look for the software provided by its manufacturer [generalmente precargado] to manage or support the laptop and see under the devices or mouse tab if the option to disable the touchpad is present.
Unlucky! Don’t worry, this method should solve your query effectively. It is valid for all versions of Windows, let’s see how to do it!
1. Open the “Control Panel”. For Windows 10, look the same on the taskbar and click the first result and for older versions of Windows, click the Start button and then from the menu, select Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click » Hardware and sound »And then go to» Devices and printers «. Locate » Mouse »And click on it.
3. A new pop-up window will appear. Go to the tab «Device Settings» and check the option » Disable touchpad when external pointing device is connected »To disable the touchpad when a mouse is available.
You may find a different option than the one mentioned depending on your laptop model, if this does not solve your problem, go to the Device Manager section.
Disable using Device Manager
In this part of the guide to disable the touchpad in Windows [todas las versiones] You will achieve this by disabling the driver for the touchpad itself located in the Device Manager section. Again, the name of the drivers may vary on your laptop, but the procedure will remain the same.
Also, continuing will disable your touchpad, and you will need to enable it using the same procedure to use it again, make sure you have an external mouse connected to your laptop before making changes.
1. Open the “Device Manager” by looking for the same thing in the taskbar and click the result or just right-click the Start button and click Device Manager in the menu.
2. A pop-up window will open. Navigate to » Mice and other pointing devices »And click on it to expand it.
3. Now, you will see all the pointing devices related to the drivers [mouse, trackpad, etc.]. Right-click on the touchpad driver and click deactivate or if you are not sure which controller is related to the touchpad then disable each controller in this section one at a time [vuelva a activar el controlador antes de desactivar otro] until I deactivate the touchpad
*** Note: Please do not remove or uninstall the touchpad driver as Windows will automatically reinstall it the next time you start your laptop so please disable it. ***
4. You can see this warning, when you try to disable the driver, just click “OK” to confirm. Since you have decided to disable the touchpad on your Windows device, the warning is just a reminder of what you are going to do.
Congratulations! You have finally disabled the touchpad in Windows 10, 8 or 7. This task may seem very trivial at first, but the solution to this problem depends on your version of Windows and also on the laptop model. The touchpad controls surely suck when used to play games or it may even create a problem for some users while typing. We recommend choosing to “disable touchpad when mouse is available” as a better option for most users.
Other alternatives are related to the BIOS or the settings registry, these options carry a considerable risk and that is why we do not recommend them. Some third-party applications are also available to help you in this, but it is not necessary to install it as this can be achieved without any problem. Visit us again if you find another fish on your Windows!