When you try to start your PC, does the error appear “0xc000000f” ?
This error is one of the blue screen of death errors that you may encounter. Restarting the PC after this error message does not work and this turns out to be annoying. This error is associated with the Windows Boot Manager. Every time Windows tries to read the boot configuration data, it displays this error message that insists that users repair their PCs via Windows installation media.
What is the error 0xc000000f?
This error occurs when you try to start the PC. It occurs when the Boot Configuration Database file is corrupted or has disappeared with some essential files and Windows has failed to start.
Causes of the error.
This error can occur because the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) is missing or corrupted due to virus invasion or power outages. Another reason for this error could be damage to the system files or the data cable of the hard disk drive (HDD). It could also occur due to a hard drive failure. If the hard drive has a bad sector or malware, then it would also do the same by preventing Windows from loading.
How to fix the error 0xc000000f?
This error is probably one of the most infuriating errors. However, it does have some pretty easy solutions. The following four methods could be helpful in rectifying this error.
Method 1: disable all peripheral hardware
- Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer except the mouse and keyboard
- Remove any CDs or USBs that are still connected to the computer
- Restart the computer
If the computer restarts without problems, it indicates that there was something wrong with the external hardware. Otherwise, something is wrong internally. If that’s the case, try following the other methods listed below.
Method 2: repair your computer
These are certain internal tips that Microsoft and Windows provide to correct the error 0xc000000f . However, to achieve this, you need a genuine Windows bootable DVD / USB. The Startup Repair installation tool in Windows can help you find damaged or missing system files on your computer, and then replace them if necessary. It is a good way to repair the BCD data file in case it is damaged or missing.
- Open the BIOS utility by pressing the corresponding key (F2, F10, F8, Del, Esc), according to the manufacturer’s manual.
- Now select Boot Order and put the bootable DVD / USB at the top of the list. Set it as the first boot device.
- Save changes, exit BIOS setup, and restart your computer.
NOTE: If you do not have a bootable device and need to create one, follow these steps: (This shows how to create a bootable USB drive with the Windows DiskPart utility
- Connect the USB drive to your computer’s USB port.
- Press the Windows key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog, type cmd, and press Enter.
- Select “Run as administrator” from the context menu. This opens a small window with white text on a black background.
- On the black screen that appears, type diskpart and press Enter. This starts the storage device manager
- Enter the command “list disk” to display all available storage devices.
- You can recognize your USB by its storage capacity, and it usually appears as “disk 1”. On the system partition, “disk 0” is usually your PC, so a hard disk or solid state drive is on your computer.
- Based on the assumption, type the words sel disk and the corresponding number after a space (for example, sel disk 1) and hit enter
- Enter the “clean” command to remove all files from the USB.
- Type “create primary partition” to create a primary partition.
- Now type “list par” and select the newly created main partition with “sel par 1”.
- Activate the partition with the “active” command. (Press enter after each command)
- Format the USB with the command “format fs = FAT32 label =” WINDOWSUSB “fast override”. It will start to format and this may take a while.
- As soon as the process is complete, enter the “map” command to automatically map a drive to your USB.
- Enter “exit” to close DiskPart, and then “exit” again to close the command prompt.
- To finish the process, you just need to copy the Windows ISO file to a bootable USB stick .
This will try to eliminate all internal errors in your system that are causing this error. If the error persists, we have some other solutions listed below.
Method 3: Use the bootrec.exe tool
The bootrec.exe tool is a tool built into Windows. This step also required a genuine Windows bootable DVD / USB. Follow the steps mentioned above if you want to create such a device. The main purpose of using this tool is to reconstruct the boot configuration data (BCD) that controls how Windows starts. When this is faulty it creates the error 0xc000000f .
- Restart your computer
- Insert the bootable media into the appropriate device
- Restart the computer and press any key if prompted.
- Select the correct language, time, currency, keyboard and click Next.
- Choose the operating system that needs repair and click Next.
- Now, within the System Recovery Options, select the Command Prompt.
- On the black screen that appears, type bootrec.exe and press Enter. This will begin to rebuild the BCD and your system will return to its normal state.
The utility will start to run automatically. However, if this doesn’t work, try rebuilding it with a different set of commands as shown below. Before you begin, remove the old BCD.
- Restart your computer and insert the bootable media into the appropriate ports
- Restart the computer again and press R. Click Troubleshoot and click Command Prompt.
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each
- bootrec / FixMbr
- bootrec / FixBoot
- bootrec / ScanOs
- bootrec / RebuildBcd
Once again, the utility will start running automatically. If this doesn’t work either, we have another method that could fix this problem.
Method 4: Check and replace the data cable
As mentioned above, one of the (very rare) reasons for the error 0xc000000f it is a faulty data cable. So you need to check and check it to make sure it is still in good condition. If you have used it for years, it is advisable to purchase a new data cable to replace the faulty one that is currently in use.
Fixing an error like the 0xc000000f error that occurs when you turn on your computer can be quite a challenge. But as you can see, the solutions provided above are easy to follow. Hopefully this has helped rectify your mistake.