Yesterday you had Windows 10 on your laptop / PC. But now when you turn on your system, you are greeted with the following error with code 0xc0000034, “The boot configuration data file is missing.”
The only good news is that your data is not lost and you can get it back (we’ll show you how). The bad news is that you will have to do a bit of work to restore that missing file. This is how to fix a ‘configuration data file’ boot error in Windows 10 operating system:
What is the “0xc0000034” error?
Some users reported an annoying problem with their computer or laptop. Instead of booting into Windows, those aforementioned computers run into a cryptic glitch and instead of greeting the user with the users desktop, those computers just show the boot configuration data file error and important information missing with error code “0xc0000034”
What are the reasons for this error?
These are some of the reasons for this error to occur on your system.
- Error code 0xc0000034 is related to BCD. If the Boot BCD file is corrupted or is missing important information, error 0xc0000034 will appear on your screen.
- The unreadable system files are stored in the bad sectors of the hard drive.
- You can install some hardware or software that is incompatible with the computer system.
- In this case, the Windows operating system needs to be restored or reinstalled.
How to fix 0xc0000034 in Windows?
Unfortunately, there is no option to fix this problem and there is also no easy-to-use explanation of what to do next or even what this error actually means and why it is happening. You should know that your computer, no matter what operating system is installed, consists of different parts.
Error code 0xc0000034 – This is a recovery error code showing that the boot configuration data files do not contain a valid operating system. This post shows you how to handle error code 0xc0000034 for Windows 10/8/7.
Here are some ways that can be used to address this problem.
1. Manual repair
me. Boot into the installation media and when you see Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, click any key on your keyboard.
ii) Now click Next and then in Repair your computer.
iii) Next to Troubleshoot> Advanced options. Now press the symbol of the system.
iv. A new black window will open. Type the following command, followed by pressing Enter after each line.
Bootrec / fixmbr
Bootrec / fixboot
Bootrec / scanos
Bootrec / rebuildbcd
The command Bootrec / scanos it will give you a list of all Windows systems found. Click on TO and Intro to install them in the boot information and then continue with the following commands.
Then try restarting your computer and check if the problem persists.
2. Fix error 0xc0000034 with Windows Automatic Repair
Windows automatic repair tool that Microsoft provides to a Windows user. It automatically repairs small Windows errors. The best part is its seamless windows that you don’t need to download additionally, but we do need Windows installation media, such as USB or Windows bootable DVD. Follow the steps below.
- Restart your Windows system and insert the Windows installation media. Press the specified key of your laptop to start (the key is according to the make and model of the laptop) when the key is displayed on the screen. 2. Click Next on the start menu, and then choose Repair your computer. 3. Now click on Troubleshoot and then select Automatic Repair.
4. Click Operating System and it will check the Windows system problem and fix it.
5. Windows Automatic Repair Tool takes time to wait until it completes.
6. If the automatic repair tool cannot fix this error, try the next solution.
3. Update your PC
Operating an update to your Windows 10 would not affect your personal files. To run the update operation, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer.
- Press the F8 key or the F11 key
- Click on Solve problems.
- Click on Update your PC.
- Follow the prompts to complete the process.
4. Check and repair bad sectors
If the error occurs frequently enough, you can check and repair bad sectors on your hard drive. There are many tools that can be used for this purpose.
Here are some tools that can be used;
- EaseUS Partition Master Free
- HDD regenerator
- Active hard drive monitor
- WD Data Lifeguard
Note : Bad sector repair damages data stored in or near bad sectors, therefore you should back up files before attempting to repair them. If the software cannot repair the bad sectors, you will need to send it to the repair center or replace the hard drive with a new one.
All the above-mentioned methods will surely help you to fix error 0xc0000034 in Windows 10, 8, 7. If you feel any problem implementing the above-mentioned methods, please let me know in the comments.
If you still need help with something, please let us know in the comment section below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.