Windows 8/10, along with a completely user-friendly interface and a host of advanced features, brought with it a number of network and connectivity issues, one of them being “The default gateway is not available «. Users who suffered from this issue would have to lose their internet connection from time to time (just to fix it after a reboot of their wireless router) or they would not have internet access. A status symbol of limited or no connectivity on the network icon in the systray denotes the connectivity status.
There are many causes of this error. It can be caused by outdated or outdated drivers. Corrupt drivers can also cause a default gateway not available error. Sometimes it also happens due to incorrect modem settings.
Before trying our methods to correct the error, it is recommended that you run a full power cycle of your router. For this, turn off the router and then the modem if the router is connected to the ISP’s modem (both off) for 5 minutes. Then turn them on again. If the results are the same, continue with the solutions below.
How to fix the error “The default gateway is not available”
Fortunately, the error described can be corrected in almost all cases, so don’t worry! We have the solutions ready for you!
We have listed 8 solutions to fix the default gateway not available error in Windows 10, 8 and 7.
Solution 1: install a new Ethernet driver
Make sure you have the latest Ethernet driver installed if you have this problem in Windows 10. To install it, simply visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Ethernet driver for your device. After downloading, install and gateway issues should be fixed.
Please note that downloading drivers manually is a risky decision. It can be disastrous for your system by manually downloading the wrong driver versions. Therefore, it is recommended to use TweakBit’s Driver Updater, now which is 100% safe and we tested it to automatically download all outdated drivers on your PC.
Solution 2: change the channel of your wireless router
Sometimes the cause of gateway issues can be the wireless channel and dual-band wireless adapters. To fix this problem, you need to access your wireless router and change the channel from auto to a certain value. It’s been said that setting the channel to 6 fixed the problem for them, but be sure to test different channels as well. For complete instructions on how to change the wireless channel, it is recommended that you refer to the manual for your wireless router.
In addition to changing the channel, some users are also advised to change the encryption method. Users reported that using the WPA-WPA2 encryption method fixed the problem for them, so you can try using it. If that doesn’t work, try switching to different encryption methods. Make sure that some encryption methods are out of date and do not provide the necessary protection.
Solution 3: change the power management settings for your network adapter
Some users have stated that you can correct the problem by changing the Power Management settings of your network adapter. For that you just need to follow these simple steps:
1. Press the Windows key + X to open the Power User Menu. Then select Device administrator of the list.
2. Find your network adapter and then double-click on it.
3. Once the Properties window opens, go to the tab Power management . Later uncheck Allow computer to turn off this device to save power . Make click on To accept to save the changes.
Solution 4: change the power saving mode of your wireless adapter
Some users claim that it can fix the error The default gateway is not available in Windows 10 by changing your power options. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows key + S and enter power options . Select Power Options from the menu.
2. When you notice that the window opens Energy options , find your current plan and click Change plan settings .
3. Click Change advanced power settings .
4. Find the wireless adapter settings. Now you need to set it to Maximum performance .
Solution 5 – Change the frequency of your wireless router
The 5 GHz frequency is compatible with newer routers, but your current adapter may not work at this frequency, so you will need to change it to 2.4 GHz . It has been reported that after changing the wireless frequency from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz, the gateway issues have been resolved. For complete instructions on how to change your router’s wireless frequency, see its manual.
Solution 6: change the wireless mode to 802.11g
You can rectify the hook with the default gateway by setting the wireless mode from 802.11g / b to 802.11g. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the window Network connections . For that, press Windows key + X and choose Network connections on the menu.
- Locate your wireless network adapter and right click. Choose Properties (edit) from the menu.
- Click the button Set up .
- Go to the tab Advanced and there he will choose the wireless mode . From the drop-down menu, select 802.11g .
- Save Changes. Then check if the problem is solved.
Solution 7 – Use the netshell reset command
Many users have reported that you can correct the error by restarting TCP / IP. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start the symbol of the system as administrator. You can do it by pressing Windows key + X . Then choose Command Prompt (Administrator) on the menu.
- When the symbol of the system , you must enter netsh int ip reset. Then press Get in .
- After completing the process, close the symbol of the system and reboot your PC.
Solution 8 – Uninstall McAfee
Antivirus programs can sometimes cause interference with your network settings. Some users have reported that McAfee antivirus can cause such problems. To fix this problem, it is recommended to remove McAfee from your PC and check if that solves the problem.
Sometimes the antivirus removal tool may not be effective in removing leftover registry entries or files, and this is why it is generally better to use a third-party uninstaller like Ashampoo Uninstaller or Iobit Advanced Uninstaller .
After you’ve removed your antivirus, your computer will be protected by Windows Defender, but you can also choose different antivirus software from this list. The best recommended antivirus are Bitdefender, BullGuard and Panda , so you can protect your system.
That’s it for this article. We think you can easily fix it now if the default gateway is not available. If you have any questions or confusion in any part of this article. You can ask us directly in the comment section below. We will be more than happy to help you there.