Windows 10 came out with the pact that there will be regular updates, as you probably know there will be no Windows 11. All major updates, as well as minor ones, will take place on Windows 10. Which makes updates a mandatory factor of the current version of Windows. But… There is a but always due to bugs and glitches during these updates. One of those errors of upgrade it is 0x8024200D.
So in this article, you will know all about Windows update error 0x8024200D and various working methods on how to fix error 0x8024200D during Windows 10 update.
What is update error 0x8024200D?
The alphanumeric code doesn’t give us much detail about this error, but once you find it, it becomes quite obvious from the details in the message below that it is an Update Error.
This error is generated at the time of installation from updates Or the download updates . However, this is not a new bug, especially after the Windows 10 Anniversary update and Windows 10 Creators , it is quite common.
This update error usually occurs when some records the update was corrupt or missing during the download. There are several reasons for this exact error code that we will try to address using a few methods.
Error id: WU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD
The update handler did not install the update because it needs to be downloaded again.
Define WU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD _HRESULT_TYPEDEF_ (0x8024200DL)
How to fix error 0x8024200D in Windows 10
As discussed above, there may be several reasons for the exact message and we will review the resolution of one in all the given methods:
Method 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
The first is the first. The Windows Troubleshooter is the priority method of this post because Microsoft lo highly recommended. Besides being the easiest and most convenient solution, it can be tried.
- In case you are not the owner of the troubleshooter, download the Windows Update troubleshooter for Windows 10 from here .
- Guard the installation file.
- Open it and run the troubleshooter .
- Please wait while the process finishes.
- The error is resolved automatically.
If the troubleshooter is unable to resolve the issue, you could at least get a recognition to know what to do more.
Method 2: Repair corrupted files with SFC
Almost all BSoD errors, STOP errors, update errors and a variety of them can be addressed using a basic utility tool provided by Windows itself. The tool is called SFC using. SFC means System File Checker which analyzes possible damage to the system registry entries. SFC is easy to run, so follow the directives below to use it:
- Press the key Windows and look for Symbol of the system on the Cortana search . Right click on it and choose Execute as an administrator .
- At the command console, type a command that says: sfc / scannow and press Enter.
- A process will start automatically, so just sit back and relax.
This will examine and fix all corrupt or mishandled files and could resolve 0x8024200D unable to update error / problem .
Method 3: Restart Windows update components
The components of Windows updates require a reboot to restore the update process, so that the interference between the update path is also eliminated. With this batch, what we are doing is delete the Software distribution folder which consists of pre-downloaded corrupt files and restart the update process by downloading the update again. This can be easily achieved by a little follow-up ahead:
- Follow step 1 of method 2
- If prompted, grant the permission and enter the following commands in the command prompt console and hit Get in after each of them.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C: Windows SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C: Windows System32 catroot2 catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- Net Start msiserver
- Finally, exit the Command Prompt and restart your PC.
Distributing folder deletion worked most of the time as reported by multiple users facing the same issue of Windows installation update failed 0x8024200D .
Method 4: Uninstall antivirus software
Sometimes the process may face obstacles due to the fact that the third-party antivirus does not allow update files to run or download.
The reason for this is simple as antivirus software falsely detects software files What malicious . Because of this, avoid that the users the download or execute and, finally, the download or the installation fails .
So one way to do it is to uninstall your antivirus software. A better approach is to disable the software for a day to escape the uninstall process and compromise security. This will fix the 0x8024200D: Unable to download update .
Method 5: Use DISM to repair update files
Like SFC, another Windows built-in utility is DISM . DISM it means Deployment Image Servicing and Management . This tool implements a status check of the update files and solve possible damage and restores the records missing .
DISM repair the system update files by following the routine below:
- Follow Step 1 of Method 2 again.
- In the command prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM.exe / Online / Image Cleanup / Restorehealth
- When you press Enter, the process will start automatically and there will be an automatic repair.
- When the process starts, try restart the update.
The DISM tool is perhaps one of the best methods to tackle the error. This will fix the error code upgrade 0x8024200D which cannot be updated .
Read also: Fix Windows update problem
The update error 0x8024200D will go away in no time if the above steps are followed correctly.
Tried everything and still facing error code 0x8024200D? the last resort would be to perform a clean installation of Windows so that the problem is finally resolved.
Remember to take the backup beforehand. For residual issues, please leave your comments in the box below. Happy fixing