So for whatever reason you want to close or delete your Microsoft Outlook account, you may have already visited other sites that claim to have the guide to do so, but almost all of those instructions and screenshots are out of date. They are using the old Outlook interface in the statement which obviously no longer exists.
You will not be able to find the link Close account from nowhere in your Outlook options or settings, because it’s no longer there. To delete your Outlook email account, you will need to go to a specific link provided by Microsoft. That is the only link that can lead you to the complete deletion of your Outlook account permanently.
The reason Microsoft makes it even more difficult to delete an account from them is obvious and simple. They don’t want you to go. They want to minimize the number of customers leaving and maximize their potential profit, as always.
How to permanently delete a Microsoft Outlook account
Without further ado, here is a detailed instruction on how to permanently delete a Microsoft Outlook email account.
- Go to this link: delete the Outlook account .
- Log into your Outlook account as requested. If you are already signed in, skip this step.
- You will be asked to verify your identity. If you previously provided a secondary email account, you will be given the option to use this particular email to verify your account. Click in the email area and go to step 6.
- If you don’t see email as an option to verify, or if you can’t remember your secondary email, click I don’t have any of these links.
- You will have to give them everything you can, like a phone number , to verify your identity by text message or call.
- If you are using email as a verification method, on the next screen, please enter that specific email that you have given them during your registration in Outlook. Then click Send code .
- A security code will then be sent to the email address you entered. Check the inbox on that email. Enter the code in the field provided, then click check .
- On this screen, it will ask you if you want to always stay verified. We are deleting the Outlook account here now. This does not matter at all. So, just click No thanks .
- When you are on this screen, you should read everything before continuing. As its title suggests, make sure your Outlook account is ready to close. It shows you what would happen to your Outlook account when it is deleted. Click on Next after having read them.
- This is the final page of the agreement. You will need to check all the checkboxes and select a reason to delete your Outlook account. Only then can you click Mark account to close to delete your Outlook account. Be sure to read everything here before finalizing your decision. Once the Mark account for closing button , there is no way back.
- Your Outlook email account is now closed and deleted.
If you don’t trust the link I provided in step 1, here it is where i got it. It’s a fairly hidden guide under Microsoft’s support library.
There will be a 30 day window that you can still recover your deleted account. But, it would be a real hassle to prove that the account is yours during recovery. After 30 days, your account will no longer exist.
It is worth mentioning that deleting your Outlook account too will cancel your Skype account associated with it. Think again before making the decision.
If you like this guide, consider liking our Facebook page for more helpful tips and guides. If you have a technology-related problem, you can ask us for help through the messaging service on our Facebook page or our email on the information page.