How to reset your password in Windows 10: We have all been there when we forgot Windows 10 login password, but do you know that there are many ways to reset your password in Windows 10? Anyway, today we are going to discuss different ways through which you can reset your password without resetting your PC, which removes all personal data and customization. If you want to reset the password of your local user account then it is very simple to use an admin account but if you want to reset the password of the admin account then this is where it gets tricky.
Anyway, if you have a Microsoft account that you use to sign in to Windows 10, the password can be easily reset on the Microsoft website. Also, few users change their password regularly, which is obviously recommended because it keeps your PC more secure, but during this process, users lose the password or forget it completely, that’s why Windows 10 users have been looking for a way to reset password easily. So, without wasting any time, let’s see How to Reset Your Password in Windows 10 with the help of the guide below.
How to reset your password in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point in case something goes wrong.
Method 1 – Reset your password in Windows 10 using the password reset disk
1.On the Windows 10 login screen, enter a wrong password and later click OK.
2.Now plug in your password reset disk (USB flash drive) and click Restore password on the login screen.
3. The Reset Password Wizard will open, just click Next to continue.
4.From the dropdown menu, select the password reset disk that you inserted in step 2 and click Following.
5. Finally, type a new password , re-enter new password, set password hint and click Following.
6. Click To finalize for restore successfully your password in Windows 10.
Method 2 – Reset your password in Windows 10 using Netplwiz
Note: you must be logged in as an administrator to change the password for local accounts. Also, if an administrator changes the password of another user’s local account, that account will lose access to all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates, and stored passwords for websites.
If you don’t have an administrator account on your PC, you can enable the built-in administrator account to log in and use it to reset the password of the other account.
1.Press Windows Keys + R then type netplwiz Y press enter to open User account.
two. I dialed » Users must enter a username and password to use this computer «, then select the user account for which you want to reset the password and click Reset Password.
Note: You cannot reset the password of an administrator account using this method.
3. Finally, type in a new password, then confirm this new password and click OK.
4.This is the way to reset your password in windows 10 using netplwiz, but you can also use another method listed below, if you can’t access your account.
Method 3 – Reset your password online in Windows 10
1.Open your web browser and then visit this link to reset your Microsoft account password.
2. Select “Forgot my password » and then click Next.
3. Enter your email address for your Microsoft account, then type the security characters and click Following.
4. On the next page, select how you want to verify your identity and click Next. In general, you can receive the security code in your email address or your phone number, that you may have specified during account creation.
5. You must first enter your email address or the last 4 digits of your phone number to receive the security code.
6. now Enter the security code what he received and then Click Next.
Note: If you have two-factor authorization enabled for your account, repeat Step 4 through Step 6 using a different method to send you a security code to confirm your identity.
7. Finally, type the new password, then confirm this new password and click Next.
8.After successfully resetting your password, you will see a confirmation message that says “Your Microsoft account has now been recovered”.
This is the easiest way to reset your password in windows 10 but if you can’t get past the login screen, the following method may be more suitable for you.
Method 4 – Reset your Microsoft account password when you sign in
1.On the Windows 10 login screen, click » I forgot my password «.
2. Windows 10 will take a few seconds to collect data about your account and will show you the message » Only a moment «.
3.After that, you will be prompted to enter your email address and your security character.
4.Now select how you want to verify your identity and click Next . Again, you can use your email address, phone number, or use the authenticator app.
Note: You will need to enter your email address or the last 4 digits of your phone number to receive the security code.
5. then Enter the security code you received, and then click Next.
Note: If you have two-factor authorization enabled for your account, repeat steps 4 and 5 using a different method to send you a security code to confirm your identity.
6. Finally, enter a new password for your Microsoft account and click Next.
Note: The Passwords for a Microsoft account must be at least 8 characters long and must contain at least two of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Also, you can’t use the password that you’ve already used before for this Microsoft account.
7. On success, you will see the message that says » The password for *******@outlook.com has been changed successfully «, just click Next.
8.Now you can sign in to Windows 10 with your new password for Microsoft account.
Method 5 – Reset your local account password on login
1.On the Windows 10 login screen, enter a wrong password and then click OK.
2. Then click on the link » I forgot my password » on the login screen.
3. Write the answers to the security questions that you set up during the initial setup of Windows 10 and press Enter.
Four. Enter the new password, then confirm the new password and press Enter.
5. This will successfully reset your password for the local account and you will be able to log back in to your desktop.
- How to change your account password in Windows 10
- How to prevent users from changing password in Windows 10
- Limit the number of failed login attempts in Windows 10
- How to change the name of the user account in Windows 10
That’s all you successfully learned How to reset your password in Windows 10, but if you still have any questions regarding this tutorial, feel free to ask in the comments section.