Do you care about the confidentiality of your data? If you are the owner of an Android mobile device, then get rid of Google apps, which are usually integrated into the system by default.
After examining the list of programs, you will find more than 20 corporation products that not only collect all kinds of information about your actions, but transmit and store it on specialized servers. An alternative to the software package from Google can be CyanogenMod firmware, which is already successfully used by more than 14 million owners of Android devices.
- The ability to update software over the air.
- Privacy Guard function, with which you can distribute access rights for installed applications.
- Built-in superuser rights.
- The ability to change the style of system applications, icons, fonts, sounds and even loading animation.
- Advanced settings, with many subtleties and additions.
- Loss of warranty is perhaps the only and main disadvantage that prevents the installation of custom firmware on a new phone.
On the developer site www.cyanogenmods.org you can choose the version for your device, as a rule, two types of assemblies are available, packed in RAR archives:
It is recommended to use the second option as the most stable one. The Cyanogen team releases nightly builds as part of testing every day. Download the archive of your choice to your PC or laptop in advance.
In the future, we will consider the option of installing CyanogenMod on smartphones of the Nexus series or, in common parlance, Google phones. Why? For these products only, Google offers an official Android image that can be used for disaster recovery. Integration of custom firmware is possible on other devices, but this is at your own peril and risk.
In some cases, connecting an unofficial firmware to a device leads to the fact that the operating system begins to malfunction or completely loses its functionality. Sadly, there is no single instruction on how to install CyanogenMod, so the first step is to back up important information.
1.To prepare Android for “dissection”, it is recommended to use the Nexus Root Toolkit – a global tool for creating copies and integrating modifications into the system, as well as restoring it. Install the application on your PC (laptop), connect your smartphone and launch the application. If there are any difficulties with recognizing and installing device drivers in the Windows system, the program, after analyzing the situation, will prompt a ready-made solution.
2. Next, use the “Backup” function to back up your personal and system files. Upon completion of the operation, activate the Unlock button, which unlocks the bootloader and removes all information from the device. Then use the function Root, noting along with it the Custom Recovery sub-item. This will allow the program to manipulate system files bypassing the system, that is, it will provide you with superuser rights.
After completing the above operations, you will see that the program has connected the TWRP Recovery installation system on the mobile device, with which you can later download and activate CyanogenMod.
Copy the CyanogenMod system archive from your PC, then put your smartphone into recovery mode. As a rule, the order of its activation is indicated in the instructions for the device and consists in the simultaneous pressing of a pair of buttons. For example, in Nexus 5 smartphones, these are the volume and power keys.
To reset the existing and initialize the factory settings, in the TWRP Recovery application that opens, select the Wipe option, then activate the Install item and specify the path to the required archive with the system.
This, in fact, is all. In fact, the preparatory process is more capacious than the installation itself. But it’s worth it – now your Android device will be running CyanogenMod firmware, completely devoid of Google products.