If your Windows 10 suddenly has no sound, particularly after updating your Windows to the recent Windows 10 October Update version 1809, you are certainly not alone here. Here we explain why it is happening and how you can fix it. If you have the problem not because of Windows Update, this guide can also be used to fix your Windows 10 sound problem.
The new Windows 10 October update is known to be causing a lot of bugs including audio settings since its release. Not just this update, there were many cases where previous updates were causing Windows to lose its audio driver or messed up the playback device selection. You wouldn’t need to try all the solutions below, but you can go ahead to find the one that works for you.
First of all, make sure you don’t mute or lower the volume on your speaker or headphones. Click the sound icon on the taskbar to make sure the volume control is at an audible level. If there is still no sound in Windows 10 or any application you run, try the solutions below.
Select the correct playback device in Sound Settings
Before you go and touch on the driver section, you need to check if your audio device driver works properly but Windows 10 selected it incorrectly after the update.
- Click on the icon of the speaker on the taskbar.
- Choose Sound .
- Go to the tab Reproduction .
- If multiple playback devices are displayed, right-click on your main audio device and then select Activate . If there is an existing enabled device, try disabling it if it is not your primary device.
- If you have multiple devices enabled, right-click the correct one and select Set as default device .
All audio playback devices connected to your computer will be listed under the Playback tab, including those for your monitor, graphics card, etc. You just have to know which one is the correct one that represents your speaker or headphones. If you don’t know, try enabling them one by one until the sound works.
If the playback devices tab shows There is no audio device installed , go to the next solution.
Run Windows 10 Troubleshooter to Play Audio
Windows 10 Troubleshooting Tool is there to help diagnose and fix your Windows problem automatically. Although it doesn’t always fix the problem, we should always run the troubleshooter before looking for the more advanced solution. To run the troubleshooter to play audio:
- Go to the start menu.
- Seek problem solving. Open it.
- On Start , select Play audio.
- Then click the button Run the troubleshooter .
- The process may take some time.
When troubleshooting is complete, restart your computer. Play some music on YouTube and see if the sound works properly. If there is still no sound in Windows 10, proceed to the next solution.
Update the driver to fix sound problems in Windows 10
Windows 10 might have lost or corrupted its audio driver during the update. You will need to reinstall the driver for it to work. If you have an audio driver CD, use it instead. If it doesn’t, follow the guide below to update your audio driver.
- Go to the start menu. Look for the device administrator and open it.
- Expand sound, video and game controllers .
- Right-click on your audio device and then select Update driver .
- Select update automatically to allow Windows to automatically find and install the correct audio driver for your device.
- If you cannot find a suitable driver, you will need to install it manually by selecting it based on your model (usually we will install Realtek High Definition audio). Check out the post here and scroll to the bottom for detailed instructions on how to do that.
We hope these solutions help you fix your Windows 10 missing sound problem. If they don’t and you have a more specific problem, you can leave a comment below or contact us to report your problem. We will try to help you.