If you just upgraded your PC to Windows 10 October Update and found that the playback and recording device options are no longer where they were, here’s how to open them.
Right-click on the speaker icon from your taskbar. Choose Sound . This will open the sound settings window. From there you can go to the tab Reproduction for all your audio playback devices, or the tab Recording for your microphones or other recording devices.
If the playback devices do not open when you click it, it is a known bug before the update. Run Windows Update now to fix it.
Playback devices showing “No audio output device installed” in Windows 10
If no audio device appears in the Playback tab, it means that Windows has not detected a connected speaker or that your speaker driver is not installed or is corrupted. Here’s how to fix it.
If you have a driver CD for your speaker, install it now and the problem should be fixed. If you don’t have the driver, follow the solution below to reinstall your audio driver.
- Go to the start menu. Look for the device administrator and then open it.
- Expand sound, video and game controllers .
- Right click on your audio device. In the following screenshot, I have multiple audio devices on my computer, you may see a different device on yours.
- Click on Update driver .
- Click on Search automatically for updated driver software .
- When you finish installing, restart your computer. Your audio should work now.
If you don’t see any devices listed under “Sound, video and game controllers,” look under Other devices to see if there are any audio devices with an exclamation point.
If there are any, it means that the driver for the connected audio device is not installed. Right click and then select Update driver . For now, click search automatically to try to let it find the driver automatically.
Related issue: Audio doesn’t work in Windows 10 after update.
If you can’t find a suitable driver, right-click again and select Update driver . This time select Search my computer for driver software . On the next screen, click Allow me to choose a list of drivers available on my computer .
You can see different models in the list. For now, we will try the Realtek High Definition Audio driver . Select it and then click Next. Windows will now install the driver automatically. When you finish installing the driver, restart your PC. Your audio should work on the next reboot.
Uninstall and reinstall the audio device in Windows 10
If none of the above works for you and the Playback Devices tab still doesn’t show anything, another solution you can try is to uninstall and reinstall your audio device.
- Open the device administrator .
- Expand sound, video and game controllers.
- Right-click on your audio device, then select Uninstall .
- Restart your computer.
- The next time you start Windows, it will automatically try to install the best driver from the Windows Update database for your audio device. This should also fix the problem.