Late, several Windows 10 users have complained that Skype opens automatically as soon as they log in. Once started, it runs continuously in the background and consumes battery. This feature was done by default so that the user can be instantly notified when they receive any message in the app.
Before we delve into how to fix the problem, let’s take a look at the various versions available to a user of Windows 10.
Different versions of Skype for Windows 10
Currently, there are 3 versions of them available:
- Skype – This is the traditional version that most users use for voice and video calls.
- Skype Preview – This is a lighter version of Skype that we use. This became available with the recent Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
- Skype for Business – As the name implies, this version is primarily used for business purposes. It is also included with Windows 10.
All three versions have the same feature of starting as soon as the user logs into their account.
How to prevent Skype from starting automatically
The following methods can be used to prevent Skype from starting automatically in Windows 10.
1. Exit Skype
The problem in question is that Skype starts automatically and logs into the account immediately to notify the user when they come. A suitable solution for the same would be to simply log out of the application. Let’s discuss how we can achieve this!
- Open the Skype app.
- Click on your profile photo that would be present in the upper left corner.
- A pop-up window will appear. You must click on ‘Sign out’. This option would be available at the bottom of the pop-up window that appeared earlier.
And that’s it, you would have made Skype disappear from your screen space! If you’re wondering how this works, let’s take a look at the technical side of it. So when you use Skype, two applications will be running in your device’s Task Manager, namely ‘SkypeHost.exe’ and ‘SkypeApp.exe’. When you close the application (without logging out of course), ‘SkypeApp.exe’ stops working, but the case is not the same with ‘SkypeHost.exe’. This is responsible for you continuing to receive notifications.
However, when you also log out of the Skype App, that’s when ‘SkypeHost.exe’ stops working as well. This means that notifications would stop and so will the entire program.
This method is not ideal for those who use Skype on a regular basis as you will then need to log into Skype again.
2. Change some settings (for desktop application)
This problem can be easily overcome by simply changing a few settings here and there. The best part is that it will take you a few minutes to make these changes! That’s how:
- Open the Skype app.
- In case you have logged out of your account in the previous step, you need to log in now.
- Click on Tools. As shown in the image below, this option is available in the menu bar present at the top.
- From Tools, go to Options in the drop-down menu that appears. (Again, as the picture shows).
- On the Options tab, look for the ‘Start Skype when I start Windows’ checkbox. You need to clear this check box and then click Save.
Following these steps will ensure that Skype does not automatically start on your Windows 10 device. It will only start when you select the Skype shortcut, thus launching the application on your Windows 10 device.
3. Change some settings (for Skype preview app)
The above method would have proven valuable only in the desktop application of it. Once you click on the Skype preview app for the first time, it will ask you to log into it using your Microsoft account. But here is the problem, once you log in to this app, you will definitely log in, that is, you will not be prompted to log in again. In such a case, this is the way to prevent this app from opening on its own!
- Open the Skype preview app.
- You will be able to see your chosen profile photo on the lower left screen. Click on it.
- Now you need to scroll down to the bottom of the screen and then select the Logout option.
This should solve all your problems.
4. Change some settings (for the Skype Business application)
Now if you have the Skype for Business app you would have skipped the above two methods as they are not useful to you. This is what you do then:
- Open the Skype Business app.
- Login to your account. Obviously, this is applicable in the case that you have not yet logged into the application.
- Locate the Wheel icon in the App and then select the down arrow button that would be present next to this Wheel icon.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Then you need to click on Tools and from there, select Options.
- On the Options tab, you need to click Personal.
- Then uncheck the checkbox that says “Automatically start the application when I log into Windows.”
- Click ‘OK’ to save the changes you just made as shown in the image below.
This will stop skype to start automatically in Windows 10.
I hope that one of these methods has been helpful depending on the type of Skype application you have. Skype has been the number 1 application for video calls or messages. Fixing this issue just makes the user experience smoother and a little less obtrusive. In any case, Happy Skyping to you!