You feel like using Skype, and when you go to video with someone, something went wrong and Skype shows you that your webcam is currently being used by another application in Windows 10. You can’t use the camera on your PC.
If you are running Windows camera applications, you need to find out which application is using your webcam. You can see that sometimes the webcam is not only being used by other programs but also disconnected in Windows 10.
Regarding your camera being used by another application problem, this article will mainly help you to fix this error by checking your webcam settings, updating your webcam driver, removing annoying third-party antivirus software, and reinstall the Skype application.
How to fix your webcam is being used by another application?
Now that Skype says that the camera is being used by another application, you can also try to check the task manager if there are any programs open and it has not been closed properly, thus occupying the webcam in Windows 10.
If you find, except for Skype, there are no more apps using the camera, perhaps further steps should be taken to fix the Skype webcam error.
Solution 1: open the privacy settings of the camera
You must configure to allow Windows 10 software to use your webcam. In this case, you will not notice that Skype says that your webcam is being used by another application or it is not connected to Windows 10.
Sometimes when you disable this option, Windows 10 gets confused and tells you the misunderstanding error message that another app is using the camera. Now make the camera usable on your PC.
1. Navigate to Beginning > Setting > Privacy .
2. In the tab Camera choose Activate the option Allow apps to access your camera .
3. Then scroll down this window, under the option Choose which apps can access your camera . Locate Skype and turn it on to allow you to use the camera when needed.
Possibly your webcam is always available to you on Skype on Windows 10.
Solution 2: Terminate other applications using the camera
According to reports, maybe some apps simply prevented you from using the camera on Skype. Or maybe some apps didn’t close properly.
1. Go to Task Manager and you will be qualified to see all obviously running programs (use the key combination Ctrl + Alt + Delete to go to Task Manager ).
2. Here you can find what is using your webcam, making your camera unavailable in Skype in Windows 10. If you keep occupying the camera, you better get it finish it from the task manager.
After ending other applications that use the webcam, try restarting Skype and using it again.
Solution 3: update the webcam driver
Usually camera driver corruption can also cause webcam not working on Skype error. Maybe it cannot be used due to the problematic driver, instead of being used by another application in Windows 10.
So it is recommended that you have a hard time getting the updated webcam driver in Windows 10 in Device Manager or from your camera’s official site.
1. Open Device Manager .
2. Expand the cameras and then right click on the integrated camera for uninstall device .
After a while, you will have uninstalled the camera driver with the help of the device manager.
After that, you need to download the latest camera driver from the official site and install it again. You can also use Driver Booster to update the camera drivers automatically. It is professional driver download software. After scanning your computer, it can help you find the missing and outdated drivers and missing components in the game. So you can use it to fix Skype camera not working easily.
one. Download and install Driver Booster, run it on your computer.
2. Click Scan . Driver Booster will scan all device drivers and find out how many drivers are missing, how many drivers are out of date, and how many drivers are up to date.
3. Click Update . Find the camera and do click on Update .
After updating the camera driver, you can try to start Skype and use the camera again. If Skype uses another app on your webcam, Windows 10 persists on your PC, just get to use the camera in other apps to see if the camera error exists.
If you find that you can only meet with your webcam that is currently being used by another Skype application running Windows 10, maybe the problem lies with the Skype application. So in the following two ways, you need to troubleshoot Skype to remove your camera which is using another Windows 10 application.
Solution 4: delete the Skype Shard.xml file
This file belongs to Skype. And it is said that removing it from your PC can come in handy when there is something wrong with Skype. Deleting the shared.xml file will reset your Skype settings, including your webcam settings.
You need to delete this shard.xml file for a moment to check if it works for unusable camera in Skype.
1. Exit Skype and disable your firewall and antivirus.
2. Press Windows + R to raise the frame Run and then enter control folders in the frame. Then press okay .
3. Then, in the tab See , under Hidden files and folders, check the circle for Show hidden files, folders, and drives . Then press Apply Y Accept to save the changes.
In this way, you can find Skype Shared.xml file in Windows 10.
4. Press Win + R again and write % appdata% to open the applications folder.
5. Open the Skype folder and locate the file Shared.xml and then right click to Remove it .
6. In the same folder, find your skype name and open it, then delete the file from setting .
Now if you have deleted this Shared.xml file in Windows 10, then the error that Skype webcam is being used by another application will probably not appear again.
Solution 5: reinstall the Skype app
If your camera is being used by another app that remains on Windows 10, it’s time for you to try removing the old version of Skype from your PC and then installing the latest version now. Uninstalling Skype is pretty foolproof, you can uninstall Skype in the control panel.
In Programs and characteristics , search for Skype and right-click to Uninstall it Windows 10.
Once you get rid of Windows Skype, you must download and install a new version of Skype from the official Skype site.
When the new Skype starts, try using the webcam it contains. You can see the camera error is gone.
Solution 6: use another USB webcam
If everything is done, but the camera is still occupied by other applications, you can try to buy a new one usb webcam . Some people solved the problem using the second webcam for Skype.
After plugging the USB webcam to the USB port, the computer will install the drivers automatically. If the driver cannot be installed automatically, you can follow the solution 3 to update the webcam driver and USB driver.
In short, regarding the question of what to do if the webcam says that it is being used by another Windows 10 application, you can find the answer here easily.