Solution The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application: error 0x40000015 is a popup error message that occurs when you turn on your PC, you will face this error message after logging into Windows 10. Error code 0x40000015 means that some application is causing unhandled runtime exception during the off. Now the error is because somehow the windows system files got corrupted and this is the runtime exception. The full error message is:
The unknown software exception exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x004423ee.
Now there can be various causes that may have resulted in corrupted system files like incomplete installation, incomplete uninstall, manual removal of program files without uninstall etc. Users may also face this error message if your PC recovers from a virus or spyware attack or if you manually shut down your PC using the Power button (improper shutdown).
If you just click OK, you will be able to use your PC normally, but error 0x40000015 indicates that there is something wrong with your PC and thus you should investigate it before it further damages your PC. So, without wasting any time, let’s see how to fix it. The unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application error with the help of the troubleshooting guide listed below.
Solution The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application
Make sure to create a restore point in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Run System Restore
1.Press Windows Key + R and type » sysdm.cpl ” and later press enter.
2. Select the tab system protection and choose System Restore.
3. Click Next and choose the system restore point wanted .
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the system restore.
5. After reboot, you can fix unknown software exception exception error (0x40000015).
Method 2: Perform a clean boot
Sometimes third-party software can conflict with the app and can cause an app error. For correct the unknown software exception exception error (0x40000015) you need to clean boot your PC and diagnose the problem step by step.
Method 3: Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
2. Run Malwarebytes and let it scan your system for any harmful files.
3. If malware is found, it will remove them automatically.
4.Now run CCleaner and in the “Cleaner” section, under the Windows tab, we suggest you check the following selections for cleaning:
5. Once you’ve made sure the correct points are marked, simply click run cleaner and let CCleaner take its course.
6.To clean up your system, select the Registry tab and make sure the following are checked:
7. Select Scan for problems and allow CCleaner to scan, then click Solve selected problems.
8. When CCleaner asks » Do you want to make backup changes to the registry? “Select Yes.
9.After the backup is complete, select Fix all selected issues.
10. Restart your PC to save the changes. This would fix the error The unknown software exception exception (0x40000015), but if not, continue to the next method.
Method 4 – Make sure your Windows is up to date
1. Press Windows Key + I and then select Update and security.
2. Then again click Search for updates and make sure to install any pending updates.
3.After installing the updates restart your PC and see if you can fix the error The unknown software exception exception (0x40000015).
Method 5: Update your antivirus
Sometimes this issue can also occur if your antivirus is not up to date, so open your antivirus software and update it to the latest definition.
Method 6 – Run SFC and CHKDSK
1. Press Windows Key + X and then click Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Now type the following in cmd and hit enter:
CFS / scannow
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c: /offwindir=c:windows
3. Wait for the above process to finish and once done, restart your PC.
4.Then run CHKDSK from here Repair the file system errors with Check Disk Utility (CHKDSK) .
5. Let the above process complete and reboot your PC again to save the changes.
Recommended for you:
- Fix IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error
- How to remove OneDrive from Windows 10 File Explorer
- Fix Windows Update Error 0xc8000222
- Fix missing opening with right click context menu option
That’s all it successfully fixed. The unknown software exception exception (0x40000015) happened in the app but if you still have any query regarding this post then feel free to ask in the comment section.