When you want to open a video game, such as Minecraft or Rainbow Six Siege, you may not be able to and an error message tells you that the application has blocked access to the graphics hardware. The issue may appear after upgrading to Windows 10. If you find the game cannot access graphics hardware issue and you have no idea what to do, you can use the following solutions to fix it.
Solution 1 – Give apps graphics access
Few users know that it is accessible to set the graphics performance for certain applications in the Graphics settings. So, once you have accessed the application has been blocked from accessing the graphics hardware in Windows 10 in games or any other software, you can try to give graphics performance preference to the application to see if it can be accessed. the apps locked after that.
1. Write the graphics settings in the search box and then press Get in To access.
2 in Graphics Settings on Choose an app to set preference first select Application universal and later Select an app .
If you can’t locate the app, it’s also available for Add an app yourself.
After setting the graphics performance preference for your gaming apps or other programs, open the app again to see if the app has been blocked from accessing persistent graphics in Windows 10.
Solution 2 – Update the graphics driver
An outdated or incompatible graphics driver is the most likely cause. Updating your graphics driver is the way to fix it. So when you can’t access your graphics card, try to update the graphics driver until the applications can access the graphics, NVIDIA or Intel or AMD.
Update graphics driver via Device Manager
This is a very common and easy way to update drivers, although it may not always detect the newest driver for you.
1. Right click on the start menu and select Device administrator .
2. Expand the Display adapters . Right click on your graphics controller and select Update driver software .
3. Then choose Automatically search for updated driver software .
Your computer will search for and install the new version driver if it detects one.
Update graphics driver automatically
If Windows 10 failed to download the updated graphics driver, you can also use driver booster a professional and safe driver update tool to update all kinds of drivers for Windows 10. Driver Booster can help scan, download and install graphics driver automatically from its 3,000,000+ driver database.
1. Download and install driver booster On your computer.
2. Run Driver Booster and click Scan .
So obviously, you can look at how many drivers are missing, how many drivers are corrupted, and how many drivers are out of date.
3. Discover the Display adapters and then choose To update the display driver.
After that, Driver Booster will install NVIDIA or AMD or Intel driver for you. When the video card driver is updated, you can start the games again. The application’s access to the graphics hardware has been blocked and you will not be able to enjoy games or access other applications as you wish.
Or you can navigate to the graphics driver manufacturer’s download center to download the latest version driver. Although it is a bit troublesome compared to the above two options, you can get the graphics driver with better performance.
Solution 3: Run System File Checker
Damaged or corrupted system files could be the reason for your problem, and you can run System File Checker to scan for such types of system files and repair them.
1. Write cmd in the search box and right click on Symbol of the system . choose Execute as an administrator .
2. Write sfc /scannow and press the key enter .
3. After the completion of the scanning process, enter the following command in the Command Prompt and press Get in after each of them.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup Image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup Image /Restorehealth
Reboot your computer after completing these commands. Then check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 4: Modify the TDR graphics register
If your gaming applications expect to access the graphics card, but Windows 10 prevents them from doing so, you can modify the TDR value ( Detection and recovery of time of waiting ) to extend the processing time of the graphics card.
Before tracking, you can also backup Windows 10 in case of data loss.
1. Press Windows + R to open the box Run and then enter regedit in the frame.
After that, press okay to continue.
2. Then in Registry Editor navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> GraphicsDrivers
3. Then in graphics drivers in the right pane, right-click the blank space to Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value .
4. Then name the Value as TdrDelay and right-click to modify your Value Information to 8 .
5. Restart Windows 10 for it to take effect.
Once your PC is turned on again, you may notice that the use of the graphics hardware application has been blocked in Windows 10.
Solution 5: Run the hardware and device troubleshooter
Hardware and Device Troubleshooter is one of the built-in troubleshooters and can detect and fix some hardware and device issues.
1. Go to Setting > Update and security > Solve problems .
2. Select hardware and device . Then click Run this troubleshooter .
3. Next, it will detect a problem for you.
If there is any problem, it will remind you. You can choose Apply this solution to solve the problem.
Solution 6: Check your RAM and graphics card
In some cases, due to your hardware such as RAM and graphics card having problems, you cannot fix the error that the application has blocked access to the graphics hardware.
Check RAM first . It is pretty foolproof to detect the memory condition on your PC.
To do that, just search Windows Memory Diagnostic in the search box and then enter this memory check tool to check for any memory errors in Windows 10. Then you can go ahead to restart Windows 10 to check for RAM issues in Windows 10)
If the RAM is faulty, you need to replace it. And if the RAM is ok, try putting the graphics card back.
The problem should be resolved if you replace the faulty RAM and install the graphics card correctly.
In short, the main point of this article is to tell you how to fix the problem that the application cannot access the graphics hardware. I hope that you can solve the problem successfully with the solutions mentioned above.