When you try to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from a previous version of Windows, or perform a clean reinstall, edit upgrade, or repair upgrade to Windows 10, you receive the following error message: something happened, the installation could not validate the key product . Windows setup generally works fine initially, but after the “We’re getting some things ready” screen, I get the aforementioned error.
You can get the program installation failed to validate the error of the product key when you upgrade using Windows 10 ISO, the installer created by the Media Creation Tool, or a Windows 10 physical installation DVD. At this stage, you cannot do anything other than click the button To close to exit the installer. Repeating the configuration will result in the same error message. Here is what you can try to do to avoid the error.
Solution: Installation failed to validate the product key Windows 10 Pro Update
To prevent the program from installation has not validated the error of product key , we need to add a specific configuration file in the installation directory.
- Open the memo pad .
- Copy and paste the following into Notepad.
[EditionID] [Canal] OEM [VL] 0 0
- Please select All the files next to Save as type and save it as ei.cfg on your desktop first (we’ll move it later).
- Depending on the type of Windows 10 installer you use, we will need to copy this file to the Windows 10 installation directory.
- If you are installing from a bootable USB, assuming E (example) is your USB drive directory, copy the file ei.cfg in the folder E: Sources . Run setup.exe or reboot on USB.
- If you are using a Windows 10 installation DVD, find the DVD, press CTRL-A and later CTRL-C to copy everything it contains. Go to C: . Create a folder called Temp . On C: Temp , press CTRL-V to paste everything into the folder. Then copy the ei.cfg file on C: Temp Sources . Run setup.exe in C: Temp folder or from Windows 10 DVD again.
- If you are installing from a Windows 10 ISO, extract the ISO using an ISO viewer or extraction software. Copy ei.cfg in the Fonts folder. Try setup.exe again or create a bootable USB.
The setup should now go past the “We are preparing some things” screen without displaying the Something that happened The installation failed to validate the error message product key .
However, if you are doing a clean install or an edition upgrade, the installation prompts you for a product key after installing Windows 10. Enter your product key when prompted to complete the installation.
Other solutions for “The installation could not validate the product key”
If you are doing an edition upgrade, we suggest that you install Windows 10 Pro using Windows update or by Settings> Update & security> Activation in instead of ISO or DVD.
If you are upgrading from Windows 8 or Windows 7, try using Windows 10 Update Assistant . This should help you update or install Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or any other edition without getting into the error screen.
The program of installation failed to validate the error of product key it can also be caused by files in the temporary folder that may have conflicted with the installation. Deleting the temporary files can help correct the error. Go to C: Users yourusername AppData Local Temp and delete all the files in the folder. Retry Windows 10 installation after deleting.
The error can also occur if the installation was unable to detect your current version or edition of Windows. Make sure you have the latest Windows update installed before performing an update. Also, try running the SFC check to check for possible corrupted or missing system files. To do this, open the command prompt as an administrator. Enter the sfc / scannow command to start scanning.
If this works to resolve the issue, or if you are still getting the error after trying everything suggested but in a different condition, let us know in the comment section below.