Have you been watching movies or videos on your Windows PC and felt like changing the volume but the volume icon not working? You may not be able to click the Volume icon with your mouse and cause some kind of problem on your system that does not allow the volume icon to work. So, today I will help you solve the problem of volume icon not working . The problem can be in any of your Windows operating systems and the solution provided will work for all Windows operating systems.
The error can be caused by various reasons, such as a malfunctioning browser, driver problem or audio playback settings, or other reasons that will be discussed later in this article.
How to fix the volume icon does not work trouble
The solutions would have methods like restarting windows explorer or reinstalling the driver or changing the PC playback settings or some other steps to resolve the volume icon not working on the problem of the taskbar .
1. Restart Windows Explorer.
Windows Explorer is the user interface (UI) responsible for controlling Windows functions. Therefore, the volume key is also included and since it does not work or is not displayed in the taskbar, we will try to restart Windows Explorer once.
- Right click on the taskbar .
- Click on the option Start Task Manager .
- Choose the tab P friction .
- Find WindowsExplorer.exe and make right click on it.
- Click on the option Restart .
Windows Explorer will restart and after that, you can check whether the Volume icon is visible or not. If it’s visible, check if you can click it and change the volume percentage.
2. Reinstall the audio drivers.
Sometimes an outdated driver can also lead to some kind of error and can cause the volume icon does not work too. Or also the controllers do not work simultaneously with the user interface. Follow the steps above to update or reinstall the audio driver:
- Press the key Windows , find and select the option Device administrator .
- At Device administrator , open the tab Sound, video and game controllers .
- Now for upgrade the controller, press Update the driver software.
- Or press the option Uninstall to reinstall the driver again.
If you have uninstalled the driver, after uninstalling you can press Install from the same way you uninstalled, if you see the driver option. Otherwise, you can download it from the manufacturer’s official website and then install it. Thereafter, reboot and check the volume key now.
If you have updated the driver, just reboot and you will see that the volume key works now.
3. Enable the Audio Manager.
The volume key might be malfunctioning or not working at all because the installed driver is not working or is not enabled. As a result, it led to volume icon of the problem inactive.
- Open the Task Manager first.
- Now, go to the tab Beginning .
- I searched Audio Manager and right click on it.
- Click on Enable , if it is disabled.
The Audio Manager driver is enabled now and can help you solve your problem after restart your PC once.
4. Use the audio troubleshooter
Yes, the troubleshooter can be of help at times. So what we will do is run an audio troubleshooting scan and the system will help you find if there are any problems that can help you fix it.
- Press the key Windows and look for the problem solving.
- Select option Hardware and sound now.
- Click on the option Play sound .
- Now, press the option Next or Run the troubleshooter to start troubleshooting.
- Wait until the troubleshooting is complete.
In case you have any problems that the troubleshooter can fix, this step will help you and the volume icon of the problem in the taskbar does not work now it is solved.
5. Restart the audio services
If the last step didn’t work for you, you should restart the audio services. This function will restart all services running on your PC for audio access.
- Press the key Windows + R to open the run command.
- In the search box, type services.msc and then press Get in.
- Now scroll and navigate to find the windows audio .
- Right click over it and go to properties.
- In the tab general , choose the Startup Type as Automatic.
- If the state is En execution , Press the button Stop below to restart.
- Now press the button Beginning after the status changes to Stopped.
- Click on To accept now.
Restart your PC after completing all the steps and check if you have access to the volume icon, which means that the problem of the icon from volume is not resolved.
6. Restart the TaskBar functionality
So in this particular step what we are going to do is run a command that will reset the Start menu and Taskbar functionality which as a result will help you solve the problem of the volume control icon not working on taskbar. This step will work for users with Windows 10 operating system.
- Open Powershell in administrator mode searching, after pressing the key Windows .
- At the command prompt, enter the command as shown in the image.
- Press Get in after entering the command.
Since all the functions of the taskbar and the Start menu have been reset, you can now access the volume key functions on your Windows PC.
7. Run an SFC scan
The problem may have been caused due to some corrupted files or software on the system and performing an SFC i.e System File Checker scan would solve the problem.
- Press the Windows using your keyboard and search Symbol of the system .
- Right click at command prompt that appeared in the search results and select the option Execute as an administrator .
- Then, at the terminal of the symbol of the system , write the command sfc / scannow and press the key Intro .
- Wait until the scan is done.
- Finally, after performing the scan, your PC will display the scan results in cmd (command prompt) and will guide you on what to do.
- Reboot to make the changes effective.
So after system reboot, you can use your system the same way you were using it before the error occurred.
Note: it is very rare that this method fixes the problem and, in most cases, the volume key not responding It was temporarily resolved using this method. But, before getting to this step, your problem could have been solved for sure. If not, you must contact your manufacturer to resolve the issue.
The problem of volume key does not work It can be due to many reasons and all the reasons have been discussed in this article with a solution for each of them. The solutions would work for all versions of Windows ie Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Hope your problem from volume icon don’t click anymore is resolved.
If you have any queries or suggestions about the issue, you can mention it in the comments below.