Hi all! This is a fresh piece of gaming industry news from the past week. And here you will find a couple of trailers and games that come out next week.
Konami finally broke the silence and dumped a whole bunch of information about future projects in the Silent Hill universe. About everything in order.
The main announcement was the remake of Silent Hill 2, which has been rumored for a very long time. And they turned out to be true – the Bloober Team studio is really working on the project, these are the authors of Layers of Fear and The Medium. An overview of the latter is on our website:
But in addition to the new studio, the Silent Hill 2 remake will also have a hand in the veterans of the series: composer Akira Yamaoka and artist Masahiro Ito. The game is made on Unreal Engine 5 using Lumen for high-quality dynamic lighting and Nanite for realistic detailed locations. The camera will be moved over the shoulder of the main character – James, because of which the combat system, some of the locations and elements of keeping the player in suspense will be reworked. And they promise to remove the loading screens. The Silent Hill 2 remake will be a PlayStation 5 console exclusive and will also be released on PC, but there is no exact release date yet.
Silent Hill, subtitled f, is a brand new story set in 1960s Japan. It is made by the studio responsible for the Resident Evil Origins Collection and Onimusha: Warlords. The screenwriter will be visual novel master Ryūkishi07 – he is famous for writing plots about murder mystery, psychological horror and everything supernatural. There is no release date for Silent Hill f yet.
Silent Hill: Townfall is an offshoot of the series from Annapurna Interactive publisher: his studio, which made Stories Untold and Observation, will work on the project. The creative director of the game stated that he became a phantom of Silent Hill after playing the first part on the first PlayStation. Now it’s a great honor for him to work on a new game in the series, while respecting the source material. There is no release date, but more details about Silent Hill: Townfall will be revealed next year.
Silent Hill: Ascension is an interactive online thriller from J. J. Abrams’ Bad Robot studio and the authors of Dead by Daylight. As planned, in this experimental “cloud” project, players will be able to influence the plot, mythology and decisions of the characters. The launch is scheduled for 2023.
In addition to gaming projects, Konami will return to the cinema – the film Return to Silent Hill has been announced. The director is Christoph Gans, who directed the first film, released in 2006. The plot will be based on Silent Hill 2 – a man goes to a ghost town in search of his beloved. According to rumors, Return to Silent Hill will begin filming in February 2023, and will not premiere until 2024 at the earliest.
Capcom also held a presentation this week, the main one of which was the extended gameplay of the Resident Evil 4 remake. In it, you can see that the character can move on his haunches – perhaps elements of stealth will appear in the remake. Leon has a knife that can quickly fight off a grab and even block a chainsaw, but judging by the interface, the knife has a limited margin of safety. Leon also learned to joke not only in cutscenes, but also during gameplay. By the way, the remake will not be cut and it will coincide with the original in duration. Resident Evil 4 Remake releases March 24, 2023 for PC, PlayStation, and Xbox Series.
Money for domestic games
According to Kommersant, as part of the competition for creating national content in games, the Internet Development Institute supported 177 projects, and grants have already been allocated for 14 of them. Among the winners, three large-scale projects were noted:
- RTS called “Denis Davydov”, 50 million rubles were allocated for it. The project will tell about the partisans of the war of 1812.
- Sparta is a tactical game about Russian mercenaries in an African country. At the first stage, 90 million rubles were allocated, and the total budget will be about 200 million. There will be no link to real events and military operations in the game, but the goal of the project is to create a positive image of the Russian military. True, very strange feelings are caused by the reverse reading of the name of the developer’s studio – Lipsar.
- Trains is a Teslapunk action game from Watt Studio. 100 million rubles have been allocated, and the total budget is about 180 million. The events of the game “Trains” will unfold in an alternative Russia of the early twentieth century. Doctor N invents a perpetual motion machine, but suddenly dies. His daughter Anna must find her father’s blueprints so that the unique technology doesn’t fall into the wrong hands. The plot at the same time will echo the First World War and the 1917 revolution. The release is promised at the end of 2024 on PC.
Some news in one line. They are interesting but short:
- The Callisto Protocol went gold. The release is expected on December 2 on PC, PlayStation and Xbox.
- For the first day, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II on Steam launched about 100 thousand users – on October 20, the story campaign became available only for those who pre-ordered the game.
- Microsoft has said that Sony is paying Activision Blizzard to keep Call of Duty out of Game Pass. According to Tom Warren of The Verge, the deal is valid until 2024.
- Valve will update regional pricing on Steam more frequently. They will only be advisory in nature, developers will still be able to set their own prices.
- The Sims 4 has become shareware.
- Pre-orders for Steam Deck for 79,999 rubles and Oculus Quest 2 for 39,999 rubles appeared on the DNS network.
- Splinter Cell Remake Game Director David Grivel has left Ubisoft.
- NetherRealm Studios has announced the collectible RPG Mortal Kombat: Onslaught. In it, you have to assemble a team of fighters and fight in group fights.
What have they shown?
Gameplay Need for Speed Unbound:
Resident Evil 4 Remake Story Trailer:
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection PC Trailer:
Kerbal Space Program 2 Early Access Announcement:
FINAL FANTASY XVI trailer:
What to play?
the 25th of October
Victoria 3 (PC) is a new entry in the historical grand strategy series. You will manage one of the selected countries in the period from 1836 to 1936, solving internal and external problems through the fine control of many elements of management and deep simulation of the political, economic and diplomatic system.
Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PC) – Another former PlayStation exclusive is coming to PC. An arcade 3D platformer about the fun adventures of Sackboy and his friends.
Signalis (PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch) is a sci-fi horror game inspired by the classic Resident Evil and Silent Hill games. The main character has awakened from her dream and needs to find her partner and lost dreams while exploring a frightening retro-tech world, solving challenging puzzles and fighting terrible creatures.
28 of October
Bayonetta 3 (Switch) – a continuation of the slasher about the battles of the witch Bayonetta with the angels. In the new part, they will let you play for Viola, a young and daring student of Bayonetta. As for the gameplay, it’s still the same dynamic, vibrant and exciting battles with a bunch of epic moves and hordes of monsters.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (PC, PlayStation, Xbox) is the sequel to the 2019 first-person shooter Modern Warfare. The events take place in an alternate universe where Squad 141 has to find American missiles that have fallen into the wrong hands. As always, this is an action-packed story campaign, fast-paced multiplayer and an intense battle royale called Warzone.
Resident Evil Village – Winters’ Expansion (PC, PlayStation, Xbox) – a set of add-ons that includes a third-person mode for the main game, new heroes for The Mercenaries mode, and, most importantly, the Shadows of Rose story DLC about the adventures of the protagonist’s daughter.
That’s all, see you next week!