Windows 8.1 introduced the Aero Lite interface theme, designed for low-end computers – it removes resource-intensive visual effects like transparency and blur. As it turned out, it was preserved in Windows 11, but the developers hid it from the system settings – to activate it, you need to perform certain manipulations manually.
How to enable the Aero Lite theme in Windows 11
- Open “File Explorer” and follow the path C: Windows Resources Themes.
- Copy the file aero.theme and paste it to your desktop.
- Rename the file aero.theme on the desktop in aerolite.theme.
- Right-click on the renamed file, click on “Open With” and select “Notepad”.
- Delete two lines after [Theme] and write instead Displayname = Aero Lite.
- Under the position [VisualStyles] change the label Aero.msstyles on the Aerolite.msstyles.
- Save the changes to the file and close it, then double-click on it (located on the desktop). The Aero Lite theme should appear in the Personalization menu in the system preferences.