Confused whether to stick with the default Windows Defender or choose a paid version of Avast Antivirus? Avast vs Windows Defender Review is detailed here.
Malware is common these days, and developers are creating antivirus getting stronger to fight them. It is important to have a antivirus on your system as threats from the internet and other network sources keep increasing day by day. With such a dilemma, one might wonder what antivirus or protector you should have on your system.
Is the Windows Defender default? Or should you move on to a better and better antivirus for your system? In this article, we will address all these questions and provide you with a detailed comparison between the Windows security program default and Avast Antivirus .
Windows Defender VS Avast Comparison
- Windows Defender on windows 7 NO it’s an antivirus, just a program antimalware . However, in Windows 8 and 10, Windows Defender is an anti-malware and anti-virus program.
- Windows Defender is completely gratuitous, like Avast. However, Avast has a paid version which allows you to add many powerful and additional functions.
With this in mind, let’s take an in-depth analysis between Windows Defender and Avast that will help you analyze and choose between the two.
Let’s take a look at the different features that Windows Defender and Avast have to provide. Some key points about the two before we begin:
- Windows Defender is a default antivirus program that comes bundled with your copy of Windows. Which means it provides basic virus protection, but doesn’t have the exotic features that antivirus software is featuring these days. In other words, don’t expect it to be too fancy.
- Avast it is a standalone antivirus from Microsoft and is not integrated with Windows. Being a third-party antivirus, Avast has some pretty good features, even for the free version, which is quite useful and much more advanced than Windows Defender.
Windows Defender Features
- Viruses and general threats: Windows Defender offers an option to start a full scan, real-time protection, a scheduled scan and even a offline scanning. It will search for malware that may be present on your computer and then remove them.
- System performance and general health: Windows Defender clearly shows you the state his system , it which is quite convenient. From the system updates and the updates of controllers up to the state of the battery and the storage, Windows Defender will provide you with the information about this. However, keep in mind that it may not detect some of the battery or driver-related issues and other updates.
- Parental and network firewall and controls: Windows Defender has its own firewall that allows you to safely browse the web and protect you from web threats. You may have also found SmartScreen, what are you looking for unsafe websites or third party apps which you might be trying to install on your system. This ensures that malware does not appear on your PC. However, keep in mind that SmartScreen helps protect your browsing experience only on the Edge browser Microsoft and not in third-party browsers like Chrome.
- You also get the function of Parental control with Windows Defender. Now, with Windows Defender, parents can configure how their children view content along with the duration, making each parent’s job easier.
Now that we’ve talked about Windows Defender, let’s take a look at the features provided by Avast Antivirus .
Avast Antivirus Features
Almost all the features that you get in Windows Defender are present in Avast and maybe even a little more. These additional features that come in the free version of Avast are strong enough to compete in the market with other antiviruses that offer the same features for a price.
Let’s take a look at some of Avast’s best features:
- Scanning: Avast features a wider variety of scan modes such as Smart Scan, Full Scan, Boot Time, and more.
- Avast also has a passive mode that allows you to run other antivirus on the same system. Pretty sweet if you want to try your options!
- Wifi Checker – For web browsing protection, Avast provides this tool to notify you when you visit an insecure website and more. And without a doubt, Avast does a better job at this than Windows Defender. Additionally, Avast also has an email client protection service so your emails are more secure than ever.
- For Windows Defender, the email client protection service only works for Microsoft’s own Outlook.
- Rescue Disk – This is another cool feature that you will have in the free version of Avast Antivirus. Basically, this tool will locate unnecessary files on your system and delete them to create more space. And don’t worry, you won’t delete any of your personal or confidential files from the system!
Now that we have reviewed its features, you may have a better understanding Windows Defender and Avast Antivirus. With this in mind, we will conclude this article with a brief overview of the comparison between Windows Defender and Avast Antivirus.
A brief comparison (Avast vs Windows Defender)
Let’s take a look at the overview to compare Avast and Windows Defender in different areas:
- Characteristics: it’s pretty clear that Avast has better and more innovative features than Windows Defender, not to mention that it has everything that Windows Defender has to offer. Clearly, Avast wins this category.
- Effect on system performance : Avast it is more efficient in storage and it will have less impact on your system performance than Windows Defender.
- General protection: Avast’s scanner, as well as malware detection, is much more advanced than Windows Defender provides better overall protection.
- Interface : this is an area where Avast fails. Windows Defender has a Interface clean and simple which makes it easy for non-tech savvy users to use an antivirus.
That was it for Windows Defender vs Avast !
We strongly recommend that you choose AVAST only if you are a regular Internet user.
We hope that by reading this article you were able to get a feel for Windows Defender and Avast, and have been able to judge which antivirus is best for your Windows PC. If you have any further inquiries, you can drop us a comment below and we will do our best to reply to you with a relevant answer.